Donate Gmail Invite - Request Here

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around people requesting invitations for a Gmail account, a beta email service offered by Google. One person initially asked for an invite, while others also expressed their desire for one. Some people questioned the ethics of asking for invites on a science and tech forum, while others shared tips on how to obtain an invite. Some individuals also expressed their concerns about Gmail's privacy policy and the potential for spam. Overall, there is a mix of excitement and skepticism surrounding the Gmail service.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
If a generous person on this board is willing to donate an invite to me can you please PM me. Thanks. :wink:

Anyone else can post a request for a invite in this thread as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I would be most happy, and grateful, and indebted too.

Thanks.

ok, that's not cool. I was thinking about begging for a gmail invite on the pf, but I thought it would be unethical and one day later you ask and get one.

You are not indebted to me in any way and it is most likely that I'm indebeted to you, but if you have an extra invite, may I have one?

Last edited:
Oops, maybe that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. You see, my sentence ended with "too" not "to". Perhaps the "too" belonged after the "I".

In other words, I too am kindly requesting an invite, and offering my gratitude and indebtedness in return.

Now why should this be unethical ? Uncool, certainly, but unethical ?

sorry, in my jumping for joy in thinking that someone on the pf had gmail invites I guess I didn't read your post correctly. I figured it was unethical because this is the pf and its supposed to be used for science and tech, not begging for a gmail account. Sites like gmail swap are for that.

I could see someone offering a gmail account, but I don't believe you should beg for one here. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite in believing this because I was begging for an account in my previous post.

Last edited:
w00t, I just got a gmail invite!
If I get any invites to share they will be going here

Yippy!

Aww... I've been trying to get one for weeks now. Anyone else got an invite they can hook me up with?

:confused: call me ignorant.. but what is this gmail invite and why would you so much want to have it and why do you need to be invited? I just got an invite (without even having to ask) so I'm wondering whether to take it or not.. :biggrin:

I am honestly unable to clearify myself what exactly gmail invite is?

Same here, spill the beans to us technologically impaired people

I guess it must be some beta version of the google mail, with the 1 Gb of free space as the bait :) still don't get the invites..

If I still amnot getting any invites, I will cry like a cat (mew mew mew) whole day...:)
I partially figure out what that kind of gmail invite is now, so "No, thanks !"

Yeah...\(^.^)/...yeah

The point of getting the invite is so you can get a good email name. How many times have you tried getting an email with some other service to find out your name has already been taken?

OK, I'm down on my knees begging for an invite. :biggrin:

well, I asked the guy who gave me an invite to send some over here. Don't know if he will, but I hope he does.

The Gmail service ( Googles email service ) is in beta testing. It is not yet open to the public. Therefore the only way to get an account is to be "invited" into the system. Basically Google picked a bunch of people to start with, and then every so often gives them invitations which those people can hand out to their friends and whatnot.

I want! :)

WhOHOO! Now I'm one of the elite :wink:

I want an inviate as well, please :biggrin:

I have to say I truly don't understand wanting an invite for gmail. Why would anyone want an email service that completely invades your privacy so they can send you advertising? Yeah, they better give you a Gb of email space since they are going to fill it with spam! I'm waiting to see what lawsuits come of this.

I've never had trouble getting an email account with a good name. Well, other than when I tried to use my real name for one and was told it wasn't an allowed name...not as the email address, but actually in the name field! Go figure! I'm not allowed to have my real name. :cry: So I gave them a fake name. :devil: Apparently that was a better name.

Moonbear said:
I have to say I truly don't understand wanting an invite for gmail. Why would anyone want an email service that completely invades your privacy so they can send you advertising? Yeah, they better give you a Gb of email space since they are going to fill it with spam! I'm waiting to see what lawsuits come of this.

I've never had trouble getting an email account with a good name. Well, other than when I tried to use my real name for one and was told it wasn't an allowed name...not as the email address, but actually in the name field! Go figure! I'm not allowed to have my real name. :cry: So I gave them a fake name. :devil: Apparently that was a better name.

I agree.

I have a gmail account and have given countless numbers of them to friends and workmates. Everyone is in agreement that it's "just another webmail". Sure, 1 GB of storage sounds impressive, but it's not particularly useful. Yahoo have recently upgraded their free accounts to 100 mb of storage, which is more than enough for most people, and you don't get spammed by the very people giving you the account!

Ancient chinese secret: They've recently been flooded, but www.aventuremail.com offer 2GB of free email storage. Keep trying periodically and you should get one.

...and if you really want one, look on eBay...

If you get "Pop goes the Gmail" you don't have to deal with the ads. Sure the program is only for windows, but he gives out the source, so it would be easy to port to any platform.

Gmail doesn't support popup ads right? And the ads are not annoying at all, they don't flash, they just sit there next to your email and have relevant information..

Unlike the hotmail ads, those are annoying

I'll still stick with hotmail though, because of the messenger service :smile:

WIIIIII!

Who needs gmail? I just got upgraded to a 2 GB hotmail account.. at NO additional cost :surprise:

I think they must've been reading my comments in this thread :wink:

Monique said:
WIIIIII!

Who needs gmail? I just got upgraded to a 2 GB hotmail account.. at NO additional cost :surprise:

I think they must've been reading my comments in this thread :wink:

What the ... !

Some people have all the luck in this world.

Monique, you wouldn't have a(n unused) Gmail invite handy, would you ? This poor soul would be glad of any benefaction.

Gmail?
Isn't it Girl mail ? ~4-Big-teeth~

Had to put my 2 cents here!

You know, since Gmail is like testing out, I'm sure u wonderful Gmail programmers would LOVE to test the compatibility of your product in International territories like DEEPEST, DARKEST Africa. I mean, it's important to know your product works EVERYWHERE!

Soo, I suggest sending me an invite. Just PM me!

Thank you kindly good Sirs and Madams!

(Note: I'm sure that will work. hehe!)

And in fairness – I suppose – alternate views concerning Gmail should be heard –

http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

That said ---- Anybody have an extra invite? :)

I guess I just don't get why anyone would want this or need it.

Do you not know how to store important e-mail? I store on CD any e-mail that I really want to keep a copy of. I have a couple of e-mails from 1994. Those were copied to a floppy.

When do you need to send a 1Gb e-mail? Even CAD files aren't that big.

I guess G-mail is attractive to the technically challenged?

This whole "invite" thing is a publicity stunt. People, please tell me you haven't fallen prey to the hype!

"shakes head"

Last edited:
Well, I need that kind of space to easily transport presentations and manuscripts around or large sequence files.. the thing they need to do with these email accounts is have batch load-ups so I can use it to view research articles from home.

I had a 25 Mb mail account and server space already, but it constantly would clog up with large files :S

Monique said:
Well, I need that kind of space to easily transport presentations and manuscripts around or large sequence files.. the thing they need to do with these email accounts is have batch load-ups so I can use it to view research articles from home.

I had a 25 Mb mail account and server space already, but it constantly would clog up with large files :S
You actually have a legitimate need. Most people don't.

Your employer should be providing this kind of capacity though. Of course, they are probably too stingy. The company I work for now actually deletes mail off the server after 60 days, I have to move anything I want to keep to my harddrive or save to disc.

Since I work from home a lot and have a slow connection because I live in a rural area, I set up my work e-mail to hold it on the server so I can read my e-mail without waiting to download it. But the rat bastads will only hold 30 meg for me.

Last edited:
I would like to publicly thank Steven Brown of this board for the donation of a Gmail invite. Mr. Brown’s liberality has resulted in one Tigers2B1, also of this board, obtaining a Gmail account as of 8:20 this morning. At the risk of over doing it a little I’ll just add my many thanks to this kind, loving, sincere, humane, kind, sincere, and humane person. Oh, and loving.

So where do these gmail invites come from? There seems to be a link on the top of my email but it is in red font and not active?