1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect Ahhhh!

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Doppler Effect....Ahhhh!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student in a parked car honks the horn, which has a `proper' frequency of 310.00 Hz. An observer in an approaching vehicle measures the frequency of the sound to be 342 Hz. Calculate the speed of the approaching vehicle. Use 340 m/s as the speed of sound in air.

2. Relevant equations
    Fo / V + Vo = Fs / V + Vs
    Fs = 310 Hz
    Vs = 0 m/s
    Fo = 342 Hz
    Vo = ?
    V = 340 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vo = (Fs / V + Vs) * (V / Fo)
    I know this is where I am messing up because I am not getting the right answer. Can someone show me where I am going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    What if I am looking for the speed. And for this one how I do I determine what is the observer F and V and the source F and V?

A person standing close to a railroad crossing hears the whistle of an approaching train. He notes that the pitch of the whistle drops as the train passes by and moves away from the crossing. The frequency of the approaching whistle is 517 Hz, and drops to 494 Hz after the train is well past the crossing. What is the speed of the train? Use 340 m/s for the speed of sound in air.

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4
    Does anyone know how to do this?

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    so if we want to find the Velocity we can do...
    (Fs +/- Fo) / (Fs +/- Fo) * V = Vs
    and...
    (Fo +/- Fs) / (Fo +/- Fs) * V = Vo

how do I know if its +/-? I know it depends on if the source is approaching or receding but what sign corresponds to which?

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In the equation provided by Astronuc, V is the speed of sound, Vo is the speed of the observer, and Vs is the speed of the source. Fs is the frequency of the source and Fo is the observed frequency.

If source and observer approach each other, Fo > Fs; if they separate, Fo < Fs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?