How Fast is the Motorcycle in This Doppler Effect Scenario?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the speed of a motorcycle based on the frequency shift of its hooter when approaching and receding. The speed of sound is given as 340m/s. The equations used are fl = fs(v/v-vs) and fl prime = fs(v/v+vs), with a resulting speed of 0.85m/s for the motorcycle.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

A hooter on a motorcycle sounds a note of 6000Hz when the motorcycle is stationary. You detect a shift in frequency of 30Hz when the motorcycle approaches you and then recedes from you. Calculate the speed of the motorcycle.
Speed of sound = 340m/s

Homework Equations

fl = fs(v/v-vs)

The Attempt at a Solution

When motorcycle approaches:

fl = (v/v-vs)
6030 = (340/340-vs)
vs = 16.58m/s

When motorcycle recedes:

fl = (v/v+vs)
5070 = (340/340+vs)
vs = 54.48m/s

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the problem intends that the motorcycle moves towards you, then passes you by, always moving at the same speed. 30 Hz is the difference between those two frequencies.

So fl-fl prime = 30Hz ? , so if I set up two equations, fl = fs(v/v-vs) and fl prime = fs(v/v+vs) and then subtract them and equate to 30 and solve for vs, will that be right?

TheRedDevil18 said:
So fl-fl prime = 30Hz ? , so if I set up two equations, fl = fs(v/v-vs) and fl prime = fs(v/v+vs) and then subtract them and equate to 30 and solve for vs, will that be right?
Sounds good to me.

6000(340/340-vs) - 6000(340/340+vs) = 30
Is that how I would set up the equation?

TheRedDevil18 said:
6000(340/340-vs) - 6000(340/340+vs) = 30
Is that how I would set up the equation?
Yes, exactly.

Speed of the motorcycle worked out to be 0.85m/s, correct?

TheRedDevil18 said:
Speed of the motorcycle worked out to be 0.85m/s, correct?
Looks good to me.

Ok, thanks Doc Al

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the observed change in frequency or wavelength of a sound or light wave in relation to an observer's movement towards or away from the source of the wave.

What causes the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source and the observer are moving towards each other, the frequency of the wave will appear higher. If they are moving away from each other, the frequency will appear lower.

How does the Doppler Effect apply to sound waves?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in sound waves when the source of the sound is moving relative to the observer. This effect can be heard in everyday situations, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by.

How does the Doppler Effect apply to light waves?

The Doppler Effect also applies to light waves, but it is observed as a change in the wavelength of the light rather than the frequency. This effect is used in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of stars and other celestial objects.

What are some real-world applications of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in radar technology, medical ultrasound, and speed detection devices. It is also used in the study of various natural phenomena, such as the movement of galaxies and weather patterns.