Double Integral over a triangular region

In summary, the problem involves calculating the volume of a solid under z = sin(∏*y^2) and over a triangular region on the x-y plane. The correct double integral is ∫^{1}_{0}∫^{2x}_{0}sin(∏*y^2)dxdy, and with the use of a u-substitution, the volume can be easily calculated.
mman014

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y) = sin(∏*y^2). Let R be the triangular region on the x-y plane with the vertices at (0,0) (0,1) (.5,1). Consider the solid that is under z = f(x,y) and over the region R. Calculate the volume over that region using double integrals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{1}_{.5}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2) dxdy
Integrating with respect to x first gives
.5∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)dy.
After this I'm stuck because I know there is no simple anti-derivative for that function.
If you reverse the order of integration then, sin(∏*y^2) would have to be integrated at first as well, so not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
mman014 said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y) = sin(∏*y^2). Let R be the triangular region on the x-y plane with the vertices at (0,0) (0,1) (.5,1). Consider the solid that is under z = f(x,y) and over the region R. Calculate the volume over that region using double integrals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{1}_{.5}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2) dxdy
Integrating with respect to x first gives
.5∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)dy.
After this I'm stuck because I know there is no simple anti-derivative for that function.
If you reverse the order of integration then, sin(∏*y^2) would have to be integrated at first as well, so not sure what to do.
Hello mman014. Welcome to PF !

You are integrating over a rectangular region.

Write an equation for each line that is on the boundary of region R.

Thanks.

Anyways so I figured out that I had the limits wrong, and when I change it I am getting
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{sin(∏*y^2)}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)dxdy
So from there I get
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)[x][itex]^{sin(∏*y^2)}_{0}[/itex]
= ∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](∏*y^2) dy
At this point I am stuck again, unless I am doing something wrong or I found the wrong limits again. From here the only way I can think of continuing is using trig substitution and then I would have
the integral of 1/2 - (cos2(∏*y^2))/2. Which doesn't really help because I would still have to integrate the cos(2∏2y^2) which is the same problem as before.

Last edited:
mman014 said:
Thanks.

Anyways so I figured out that I had the limits wrong, and when I change it I am getting
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{sin(∏*y^2)}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)dxdy
So from there I get
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]sin(∏*y^2)[x][itex]^{sin(∏*y^2)}_{0}[/itex]
= ∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](∏*y^2) dy
At this point I am stuck again, unless I am doing something wrong or I found the wrong limits again. From here the only way I can think of continuing is using trig substitution and then I would have
the integral of 1/2 - (cos2(∏*y^2))/2. Which doesn't really help because I would still have to integrate the cos(2∏2y^2) which is the same problem as before.

You continue to have them wrong.

As I suggested:
"Write an equation for each line that is on the boundary of region R."​

Wow so I just realized the mistake I made, wasn't thinking properly., equation of the line is just y = 2x so x = .5y, and I got it from there just using u sub and the rest is easy.

mman014 said:
Wow so I just realized the mistake I made, wasn't thinking properly., equation of the line is just y = 2x so x = .5y, and I got it from there just using u sub and the rest is easy.
Excellent !

Anyways thanks for making me realize my mistake haha. I was staring at the problem for too long, fresh eyes always help.

What is a double integral over a triangular region?

A double integral over a triangular region is a type of integration that involves calculating the volume under a surface or between two surfaces over a triangular-shaped area on a coordinate plane.

What is the formula for a double integral over a triangular region?

The formula for a double integral over a triangular region is ∬R f(x,y) dA, where R represents the triangular region and f(x,y) is the function being integrated.

What is the difference between a double integral over a triangular region and a regular double integral?

The main difference between a double integral over a triangular region and a regular double integral is the shape of the region being integrated. A regular double integral involves a rectangular or square-shaped region, while a double integral over a triangular region involves a triangular-shaped region.

How do you evaluate a double integral over a triangular region?

To evaluate a double integral over a triangular region, you can use various methods such as converting the triangular region into a rectangular region, using the limits of integration, or utilizing symmetry to simplify the integral.

What are the real-life applications of a double integral over a triangular region?

A double integral over a triangular region has various real-life applications, such as calculating the center of mass of a triangular-shaped object, determining the volume of a pyramid or cone, and calculating the moment of inertia for a triangular-shaped object.