Double integral with substitution

In summary, The integral \int\int_{B}x^{2}+2y dxdy where B=\{(x, y) | x^{2}+y^{2}≤4\} can be evaluated using polar coordinates and Fubini's theorem. The correct solution is 4\pi, and the mistake in the previous attempt was not squaring the cosine term.
carlosbgois

Homework Statement

Evaluate (using a substitution) [itex]\int\int_{B}x^{2}+2y dxdy[/itex] where [itex]B=\{(x, y) | x^{2}+y^{2}≤4\}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted a solution using polar coordinates, so the integral becomes [itex]\int\int_{B_{ρθ}}(ρ^{2}cos^{2}(θ)+2ρsin(θ)) ρ dρdθ[/itex], and the integration intervals are [itex]0≤ρ≤2, 0≤θ≤\pi[/itex]. Solving it using Fubini's thorem my result was [itex]\frac{32}{3}[/itex], but the solution given by the book is [itex]4\pi[/itex].

Where did I go wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your polar coordinate setup is right, except you want the upper limit to be 2pi. But the answer is completely wrong. How did that happen? Can you show us?

Indeed it is 2pi, my mistake. I'll attempt a solution again, and if I don't get it i'll show it
Thank you

Done, I did forget the square in the cosine hehe, many thanks

What is a double integral with substitution?

A double integral with substitution is a mathematical process used to evaluate the area under a two-dimensional curve by converting the integral into a simpler form using a substitution rule.

Why is substitution necessary in a double integral?

Substitution is necessary in a double integral because it allows us to transform the original function and limits of integration into a simpler form, making it easier to evaluate the integral.

What is the process for performing a double integral with substitution?

The process for performing a double integral with substitution involves finding an appropriate substitution rule, making the necessary substitutions in the original integral, and then evaluating the resulting integral using the new limits of integration.

What are some common substitution rules used in double integrals?

Some common substitution rules used in double integrals include polar coordinates, trigonometric substitutions, and u-substitutions.

What are the benefits of using substitution in a double integral?

Using substitution in a double integral can simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. It can also help in solving integrals that are not possible to solve using other methods.