Reversing Order of Integration: Evaluating an Intgral

• Thread starter shards5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating an integral by reversing the order of integration, specifically for the integral \int^{3}_{0}\int^{9}_{y^2} y cos(x^2) dydx. The conversation includes drawing a diagram, identifying the intervals of integration, and using integration by substitution to simplify the integral. The final result is \int^{9}_{0} x/2 * cos(x^2) dy, which can be solved using integration by parts.
shards5

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral by reversing the order of integration.
[tex] \int^{3}_{0}\int^{9}_{y^2} y cos(x^2) dydx [/tex]

Homework Equations

...?

The Attempt at a Solution

Drawing the picture out we get a sideways parabola.
From the picture I get the following intervals of integration.
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 9
Using the above I get the following integral.
[tex] \int^{9}_{0}\int^{sqrt(x)}_{0} y cos(x^2) dxdy [/tex]
After the first integration I get.
[tex]\frac{y^2}{2}[/tex] cos(x^2)
Plugging in [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and 0 I get the following resulting integral.
[tex] \int^{9}_{0} x/2 * cos(x^2) dy [/tex]
And here is my problem. It has been a while since I took my calculus II so I don't remember how to integrate the above and I am also not sure if I set my intervals of integration correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait a minute...the second last integral is first done wrt y and then the last integral is done wrt x. How did you get cos(x²)? cos(x) would be a constant wrt y. After correction, the last integral will simply become a by parts integral.

It was cos(x^2), and I think I got it using integration by substitution. Thanks a lot.

1. What is "Reversing Order of Integration"?

"Reversing Order of Integration" is a technique used in evaluating integrals, where the order of integration is changed from the original form in order to make the integral easier to solve. This technique is particularly useful when dealing with complex integrals that cannot be solved using standard integration methods.

2. When should I use "Reversing Order of Integration"?

You should use "Reversing Order of Integration" when you encounter integrals that cannot be solved using standard integration methods. This technique is also useful when the region of integration is easier to define in terms of the other variable of integration.

3. How do I reverse the order of integration?

To reverse the order of integration, you need to first identify the limits of integration for both variables, and then switch the order of the integrals. The inner integral becomes the outer integral and vice versa. You may also need to change the limits of integration accordingly.

4. What are the benefits of using "Reversing Order of Integration"?

The main benefit of using "Reversing Order of Integration" is that it allows for easier evaluation of complex integrals. It also helps to simplify the region of integration, making it easier to define and evaluate. This technique can also be used to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve using standard methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Reversing Order of Integration"?

One limitation of using "Reversing Order of Integration" is that it may not always lead to a simpler integral. In some cases, it may even make the integral more complicated. Additionally, this technique can only be used for certain types of integrals and may not be applicable in every situation.