What Is the Correct Approach to Solve This Double Integration Problem?

In summary, the integral in question is written incorrectly and must be changed before it can be solved accurately.
Enzo

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int^1_y\int^1_0 x^2*e^{xy} dydx
[/tex]Answer: [tex]1/2 (e-2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried about 4 ways of doing this, I can't solve it. It either ends up being a completely huge and wrong answer, or ends up giving me a integration by parts of something like [tex]\int e^(x^2) dx[/tex] which I can't solve

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Enzo! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Enzo said:
[tex]
[/tex]

Answer: [tex]1/2 (e-2)[/tex]

… ends up … something like [tex]\int e^(x^2) dx[/tex] which I can't solve

Did you change the order of integration first?

I get ∫xex2 dx, which is easy :wink:

Try again! :smile:

Enzo said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]

Answer: [tex]1/2 (e-2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried about 4 ways of doing this, I can't solve it. It either ends up being a completely huge and wrong answer, or ends up giving me a integration by parts of something like [tex]\int e^(x^2) dx[/tex] which I can't solve

This makes no sense. The way you have it written, with the "outer integral" from y to 1, the answer must be a function of y, not a constant. But, as written it does not give "[itex]e^{x^2}[/itex]
[tex]\int_{x=y}^1\int_{y= 0}^1 x^2e^{xy}dy dx= \int_{x=y}^1\left(xe^{xy}\right)_0^1 dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{x=y}^1 \left(xe^x- x\right)dx[/tex]
which can be done by a single integration by parts.

If it were
[tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int{x=y}^1 x^2e^{xy}dx dy[/itex]
tat can be done by two integrations by parts.

1. What is a double integration problem?

A double integration problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface. It requires performing two separate integration operations to determine the solution.

2. What is the difference between single and double integration?

The main difference between single and double integration is the number of dimensions being considered. Single integration involves finding the area under a one-dimensional curve, while double integration involves finding the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface.

3. How do you solve a double integration problem?

To solve a double integration problem, you first need to identify the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you need to perform the first integration with respect to one variable, while treating the other variable as a constant. Finally, you perform the second integration with respect to the remaining variable, using the results of the first integration as the limits of integration.

4. What are the applications of double integration in science?

Double integration has many applications in science, particularly in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to calculate the area under a force vs. displacement graph, to determine the volume of an irregularly shaped object, and to solve problems involving acceleration and velocity.

5. Can double integration be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, double integration can be used to solve real-life problems in various fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object, to determine the work done by a varying force, and to find the moment of inertia of an object. It is a powerful mathematical tool that has many practical applications.