Double Integration using u-substitution

• Thread starter ShaneOH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with multiple integration in Calc III, specifically in dealing with more complex problems. The student is attempting to use u-substitution in two variables, but is unsure of how to handle the change of variables and the integral with multiple variables. The expert provides guidance on how to approach these types of problems and clarifies the concept of treating y as a constant in the integral.
ShaneOH

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so we're going over multiple integration in Calc III, and I'm having trouble with the more complex problems.

∬ √(x + 4y) dxdy, where R = [0, 1] x [2, 3]

So it's 0 to 1 on the outside integral, 2 to 3 on the inside integral, of sqrt(x+4y) dxdy.

Homework Equations

Iterated Integrals

u-substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the previous double integration problem, but using u-substitution in two variables is throwing me off.

I would assume that, u = x + 4y
du = 1 dx (since we're integrating with respect to x first, and holding y as a constant, so x becomes 1 and 4y drops out). So du = dx

= ∬ √(u) du
= ∫(0 to 1) [(2u^(3/2))/3] (2 to 3) dy
= ∫(0 to 1) (((2(3 + 4y)^(3/2))/3) - (2(2 + 4y)^(3/2))/3)) dy

And this is where I stopped since this seems way overly complicated, and I feel like I did something wrong. My main problem:

Change of variables: If I want to change the integral variables, i.e. 2 to 3, I know in the single variable case that you use the u equation. But here, u = x + 4y, it has two variables. I only have 2 and 3 so do I just plug that into the x and completely ignore anything attached to a y? Pretend the y isn't there? It doesn't make much sense to me.

u-substitution in general, with multiple integration: I'm not sure if I'm going through the process after that correctly, either.

If I could figure this out, and know the correct way to do these kinds of problems in general, I could do much more, but for now I'm stuck on all of these problems since they're mostly similar.

Thank you very much for any help or input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if this is wrong, the point where you stopped is
[itex]\int^{0}_{1}[/itex] [[itex]\frac{(3 + 4y)^{3/2}}{3/2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{(2 + 4y)^{3/2}}{3/2}[/itex]] dy

You are on the right track. Use the same technique as the one used for x-integration.

Yes, you're being way too complicated. If you first integrate wrt x, just treat the 4y as some constant, so you're integrating sqrt(X+C).

@Sourabh. Sure thing, it just looked... wrong, but I'll take a crack at continuing.

@daveb: I was under the impression I needed u-substitution for more than one value under a square root? Or does it just become (2(x+C)^(3/2))/3)?

Also: Could someone just shed some light on my change of variables question? That would clear things up a good deal.

It'd be better if you rephrase your "Change of variables" question, making it more specific. :)

Sourabh N said:
It'd be better if you rephrase your "Change of variables" question, making it more specific. :)

Sure, so I'm confused on:

Single variable substitution: Let's say you have some arbitrary integration problem from 2 to 4, of √(x^2 + x).

Here, u = x^2 + x
du = 2x + 1 dx
dx = du/2x + 1

And so, instead of 2 to 4, the bounds become:

(2)^2 + (2) = 6

(4)^2 + 4 = 20

So the problem becomes: integrate, from 6 to 20, (sqrt(u)) du/2x+1, yes?

So I understand changing the bounds in those cases, but for example, in this problem, where u = x + 4y - I don't know what to do with the y. If I follow the same method, with bounds 2 to 3, the bounds would become:

2 + 4y to 3 + 4y

And I'm not sure how to handle the y. I don't know how to change the bounds using u-sub with multiple variables.

ShaneOH said:
Sure, so I'm confused on:

Single variable substitution: Let's say you have some arbitrary integration problem from 2 to 4, of √(x^2 + x).

Here, u = x^2 + x
du = 2x + 1 dx
dx = du/2x + 1

And so, instead of 2 to 4, the bounds become:

(2)^2 + (2) = 6

(4)^2 + 4 = 20

So the problem becomes: integrate, from 6 to 20, (sqrt(u)) du/2x+1, yes?
Yes! (of course, after getting rid of the x in the denominator.)

So I understand changing the bounds in those cases, but for example, in this problem, where u = x + 4y - I don't know what to do with the y. If I follow the same method, with bounds 2 to 3, the bounds would become:

2 + 4y to 3 + 4y

And I'm not sure how to handle the y. I don't know how to change the bounds using u-sub with multiple variables.

That is correct. Imagine integrals as beasts, eating the integrand and garbageting the integrate. A dx integral cannot digest y, thus leaves it as it is. For this reason, you can treat y as a constant, like 4 or 5 or 42.

Sourabh N said:
Yes! (of course, after getting rid of the x in the denominator.)

That is correct. Imagine integrals as beasts, eating the integrand and garbageting the integrate. A dx integral cannot digest y, thus leaves it as it is. For this reason, you can treat y as a constant, like 4 or 5 or 42.

So (last question!) what you're saying is, if this problem would have been such that u = 2x + 4y, then the bounds would have been from 4 to 6?

I literally just completely drop the y? Ignore it?

Say, u = 2x + xy + y, and normal bounds are from 2 to 4

Then, change of bounds: u = 2(2) + 2 and 2(4) + 4
Making it 6 to 12? Again just pretending the y isn't there even though it is attached to the x as well?

ShaneOH said:
So (last question!) what you're saying is, if this problem would have been such that u = 2x + 4y, then the bounds would have been from 4 to 6?

I literally just completely drop the y? Ignore it?

Say, u = 2x + xy + y, and normal bounds are from 2 to 4

Then, change of bounds: u = 2(2) + 2 and 2(4) + 4
Making it 6 to 12? Again just pretending the y isn't there even though it is attached to the x as well?

Nope, don't ignore it, but "leave it as it is".
Some examples:

1. u = 42x + y; x goes from 0 to 1 => u goes from y to 42 + y.
2. u = 42x + 5; x goes from 0 to 1 => u goes from 5 to 47.
2. u = x + xy + y2; x goes from 4 to 6 => u goes from 4 + 4y + y2 to 6 + 6y + y2.

So they become variable bounds. Got it. Thanks so much for the help and patience Sourabh!

No problem :)

Hey guys, I'm sorry to bring the same problem up again, but my answer is lacking two entire terms and I'm not sure what I'm omitting.

Problem:

∬ √(x + 4y) dxdy, where R = [0, 1] x [2, 3]

Solution attempt:

I would assume that, u = x + 4y
du = 1 dx (since we're integrating with respect to x first, and holding y as a constant, so x becomes 1 and 4y drops out). So du = dx

= ∬ √(u) du
= ∫(0 to 1) [(2u^(3/2))/3] (2 to 3) dy

Moving on...

u = 3 + 4y, du = 4 dy, dy = du/4

Bounds (0 to 1) become 3 to 7:

= ∫(3 to 7) (2u^(3/2))/3) - (2u^(3/2))/3) du/4

= 1/4[(4u^(5/2)/15) - (4u^(5/2)/15)] from 3 to 7
((1/4) cancels out with both terms on inside so: )
= (7^(5/3)/15) - (3^(5/2)/15)

= 1/15(7^(5/2) - 3^(5/2))

And done. However, the back of the book disagrees with me, stating the answer as:

1/15(7^(5/2) - 6^(5/2) - 3^(5/2) + 2^(5/2))

And I looked back through my work and I just don't see where that second and fourth term are coming from. Is there a step or two I'm completely missing?

If you're integrating [0,1]x[2,3], your bounds for x range from 0 to 2 and y ranges from 1to 3. You have the limits of integration wrong.

ShaneOH said:

Moving on...

u = 3 + 4y, du = 4 dy, dy = du/4

Bounds (0 to 1) become 3 to 7:

= ∫(3 to 7) (2u^(3/2))/3) - (2u^(3/2))/3) du/4

Look carefully at the boldface terms. Do you see what went wrong?

What is double integration using u-substitution?

Double integration using u-substitution is a method of integrating a function of two variables over a given region in the xy-plane. It involves using the substitution u=g(x,y) to transform the double integral into a single integral, which can then be solved using standard integration techniques.

When should I use double integration using u-substitution?

Double integration using u-substitution is useful when the integrand is a product of two functions, one of which can be expressed in terms of the other using u=g(x,y). It is also helpful when the region of integration is more complicated than a rectangular or circular region.

How do I choose the appropriate u for u-substitution?

Choosing the appropriate u for u-substitution involves identifying a part of the integrand that can be expressed in terms of a single variable. This can often be done by looking for expressions that involve both x and y, or by using trigonometric identities.

What are the steps for solving a double integral using u-substitution?

The steps for solving a double integral using u-substitution are as follows:

1. Identify a suitable u=g(x,y) substitution.
  2. Compute the Jacobian determinant of the transformation.
  3. Replace the variables in the integrand with u and solve the resulting single integral.
  4. Convert the answer back to x and y using the inverse transformation.

Are there any special considerations when using u-substitution for double integration?

Yes, there are a few special considerations to keep in mind when using u-substitution for double integration. Firstly, the region of integration must also be transformed using the same substitution. Additionally, the bounds of the new integral may need to be adjusted to reflect this transformation. It is also important to check for any singular points in the transformed region, as these may require separate treatment.