1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slits - Measuring Wavelength from the number of bright fringes

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A double-slit interference pattern is observed on a screen 1.0m behind two slits placed on 0.3mm apart. Ten bright fringes span a distance of 1.65cm. What is the wavelength of the light?

2. Relevant equations
    Since we're looking at bright fringes:
    (m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = dsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = d(x/L)

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = 3E-4m
    m = 4 (I feel like I'm supposed to use just one half of the bands, excluding the middle band. Is this right? Why do I do this?)
    L = 1.0m
    y = 8.25E-3m (this is the spread of the 10 fringes divided by 2 since I'm using half of them)

(m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = d(x/L)
    (4+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 3E-4(8.25E-3/1.0)
    [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 5.5E-7m

On my formula sheet there is an 'x'...the variable for the spread of the fringes is traditionally 'y'...I figured they were just the same thing so used y for x in the above example. If that's wrong then could someone explain where I get 'x' from? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    Just realized that (m+1/2) is for DARK fringes. Would that be correct for dark fringes at least?

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    If you use m=4 that is 4+4+1 which only gives you 9 fringes. The question doesn't say these are all the possible fringes, maybe only a part of all fringes. What I would do is use m= 9 (that is 10 because we include m=0) and use distance y as 1.65cm. And yes you are supposed to use (m)LaTeX Code: \\lambda

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook