How do you graph vectors on a graph paper using their magnitude and direction?

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the addition of two vectors, Vector A and Vector B, with values of 1.96N at 20° and 1.71N at 65° respectively. The vectors were multiplied by 2 for visualization purposes and were added together in a clockwise direction. The resulting vector, C, was calculated to be 2.58N at 95°. There was confusion regarding the angle and mapping of the vectors, but it was determined that the same mapping should be used to read off the answer in N. A request was made for a diagram to better understand the situation.
stolencookie

Homework Statement

Vector A: 1.96N at 20°
Vector B: 1.71N at 65°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I change the Newtons to cm. Vector A: 1.96cm and Vector B: 1.71cm. I multiplied it by 2 so it would look bigger on the graph paper. Vector A: 3.92cm and Vector B:3.42cm. I was able to graph it correctly using my protractor and ruler. I then attached the vectors together to find Vector C: 2.58cm at 95°. Thing is would I keep the Vector C as is or change it back to the original by dividing by 2? I am just confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the vectors being added or subtracted?
stolencookie said:
1.96N at 20°
What does "at 20°" mean? Do you mean 20° clockwise (or maybe anticlockwise) from N?
stolencookie said:
would I keep the Vector C as is or change it back to the original by dividing by 2?
You have mapped 1N to 2cm, right? Use the same mapping to read off the answer in N.

haruspex said:
Are the vectors being added or subtracted?

What does "at 20°" mean? Do you mean 20° clockwise (or maybe anticlockwise) from N?

You have mapped 1N to 2cm, right? Use the same mapping to read off the answer in N.

Vectors are being added its clockwise

stolencookie said:
Vectors are being added its clockwise
Then I don't understand how you could get an answer with angle greater than 90 degrees when each constituent vector has an angle between 0 and 90.
Can you post a diagram?

haruspex said:
Then I don't understand how you could get an answer with angle greater than 90 degrees when each constituent vector has an angle between 0 and 90.
Can you post a diagram?
my bad anticlockwise...

stolencookie said:
my bad anticlockwise...
Same response, I do not see how you coukd get that answer.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (speed with direction) is a vector quantity.

3. What is the importance of drawing vectors to represent forces?

Drawing vectors is important because it allows us to visually represent forces in a way that is easy to understand and analyze. Vectors can help us determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the motion of objects.

4. How do you draw a vector?

To draw a vector, you first need to determine the magnitude and direction of the vector. Then, using a ruler and protractor, you can draw an arrow with the correct length and direction to represent the vector. It is important to label the arrow with the correct units and to draw it to scale.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. To add vectors, you need to place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. To subtract vectors, you need to reverse the direction of the second vector and then add them using vector addition rules.