1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven, damped harmonic oscillator - need help with particular solution

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    Driven, damped harmonic oscillator -- need help with particular solution

Consider a damped oscillator with Beta = w/4 driven by
    F=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt). Find x(t).

I know that x(t) is the solution to the system with the above drive force.

I know that if an external driving force applied to the oscillator then the total force is described by F = -kx - bx' + F0cos(wt).

But in our case the driving force is A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt) so
    F=-kx-bx+A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

Then our differential equation is mx''+bx'+kx=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

This can also be written as x''+2Betax'+(w^2)x=A1cos(wt)+A2cos(3wt).

For the complementary solution, we set the right side of the equation equal to zero and solve for x. This is o.k.

However, I am having trouble with the particular solution. Can someone tell me how I find a particular solution for this? I can find the particular solution for x''+2Beta x'+ (w^2)x = A cos (wt), but what about the particular solution when the driving force is not A cos (wt), as we have in this case?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use Lagrange's method of varying constants. That is assume that the particular solution to the nonhomogenous ODE is

[tex] x_{part}(t)=C_{1}(t)\cos\omega t+C_{2}(t)\cos 3\omega t [/tex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?