Dry ice substituting for liqud nitrogen?

In summary, the student is looking for a substitute for liquid nitrogen in order to perform an experiment where they put a superconductor in liquid nitrogen. Dry ice is not cold enough, and he is looking for a place to find liquid nitrogen.
majinknight
Liquid Nitrogen and Dry Ice

Hi I am doing an experiment for my chemistry independent project which is on doing super conductors, well i am doing one wherre you take YBa2Cu3O7 - the so-called "1-2-3" superconductor and put it in liquid nitrogen and it makes a rare Earth magnet levitate above it, well i have the yittrium barrium copper oxide but i am having trouble getting liquid nitrogen as my school does not have a container to hold it. So i was wondering if dry ice can be substituted instead of liquid nitrogen as the school can get that easily. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
At temperatures below 195 K (-78 °C), carbon dioxide condenses into a white solid called dry ice.

Liquid nitrogen = 63.15 K (-210.00 °C, -346.00 °F).

The record for maximum Tc is still held by a cuprate perovskite material (Tc = 138 K, that is −135 °C), so dry ice is not cold enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-temperature_superconductor

Perhaps one could make arrangements with a local university physics/chemistry department, one that has a cryogenics facility.

Dry ice isn't anywhere near cold enough to get the YBa2Cu3O7 to the superconducting temperature, which I think is somewhere around 90K. Dry ice, by contrast, is around 195K. You're going to have to get some LN2.

Have your teacher contact a local university physics or chemistry department. They would probably be willing to lend some LN2 and a suitable container.

Hospitals, welding supply companies --- you might get lucky and find someone willing to donate time and material.

LN2 really isn't that expensive or difficult to transport in small amounts. My dad used to bring home 30 gal jugs of it to give demos for schools. See if you can find someone who works for an industrial gas company - or someone who uses a lot, like Bystander suggested.

Astronuc said:
Liquid nitrogen = 63.15 K (-210.00 °C, -346.00 °F).

Minor quibble - that's the melting point of nitrogen. The boiling point is 77K.

rachmaninoff said:
That's what he was referring to, the melting temperature (he was referring to the solid form).

Any biology department is also likely to have people with liquid nitrogen on-hand. It's frequently used to rapidly freeze and store cells or tissues.

Be very careful when using it...you don't want to get ANY on your skin, because it will freeze skin immediately. Wear proper safety goggles and use tongs or some other holder to handle anything being placed in the liquid nitrogen.

Another place you can find liquid nitrogen is at a tire recycling plant.

rachmaninoff said:
You are correct - my mistake. Nuts!

It should be the boiling point. 77.36 K (-195.79 °C, -320.42 °F)

It would be a nice experiment using Liquid Nitrogen on Pyrolytic Carbon, Which already levitates on strong Magnets at room temperature.

I have heard no word of its properties at Liquid Nitrogen Temperatures.

I smell a Noble Prize around here somewhere.:smile:

1. What is dry ice?

Dry ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide. It is -78.5 degrees Celsius and sublimates (converts directly from solid to gas) at room temperature, producing a thick foggy vapor.

2. How does dry ice compare to liquid nitrogen?

Dry ice and liquid nitrogen are both used as cryogens (substances used to produce very low temperatures). However, dry ice is significantly colder (-78.5 degrees Celsius) compared to liquid nitrogen (-196 degrees Celsius). Dry ice also produces a thicker foggy vapor compared to liquid nitrogen.

3. Can dry ice be used as a substitute for liquid nitrogen?

In some cases, dry ice can be used as a substitute for liquid nitrogen. However, it is not as cold, so it may not be suitable for all applications. Additionally, the thick vapor produced by dry ice can be hazardous in enclosed spaces, so caution should be taken when using it as a substitute for liquid nitrogen.

4. What are the risks associated with using dry ice as a substitute for liquid nitrogen?

The main risk associated with using dry ice as a substitute for liquid nitrogen is the potential for the thick foggy vapor to displace oxygen in an enclosed space. This can lead to difficulty breathing and even suffocation. Additionally, dry ice can cause burns if handled improperly.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using dry ice as a substitute for liquid nitrogen?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when using dry ice as a substitute for liquid nitrogen. These include wearing protective gear (such as gloves and safety glasses), using it in a well-ventilated area, and not handling it with bare hands. It is also important to carefully follow instructions for proper handling and storage of dry ice.