Dyanimcs problem. find the dustance traveled using of a cart

• Thread starter baileypatrick8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, the problem involves a system being released from rest with a stretched spring and a 10kg cart. The distance traveled by the cart before coming to rest is determined for two scenarios: when the mass of the cart approaches zero and when the mass is 2kg. The equations used are F=ma and Fs=kx, and the attempt at a solution involves setting the work of the cart equal to that of the spring and integrating, but the answer obtained is incorrect.
baileypatrick8

Homework Statement

The system is released from rest with no slack in the cable and with the spring stretched 200mm. Determine the distance s traveled by the 10kg cat before it comes to rest (a) if m approaches zero and (b) if m = 2kg. Assume no mechanical interference.
Mass of cart = 10kg, k = 125 the spring starts stretched .2m

Homework Equations

I have attached a picture of the problem n as well as my attempt at solving it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the work of the cart would equal that of the spring. I found the acceleration of the cart is twice that of the spring through f = ma I got
10kg (g) sin25 - T = mAx

And in the y firection for the spring assumed the force of the spring down is equal to twice that of T with Fs = 125/2 (.2^2 -(.2-d)^2)

From here I tried set ting the work of each equal to each other and integrating and got the wrong answer.

Attachments

• 20130216_152114.jpg
    20130216_152114.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Hw 5.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,509
Physics news on Phys.org
Your file is damaged and cannot be opened.

I hope it worked this time. The preview showed up fine on my end

Attachments

• Hw 5.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 832

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled using a cart?

To calculate the distance traveled by a cart, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it took to travel. You can use the formula d = (vf + vi)/2 * t, where d is the distance, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points, while distance is the total length of the path taken. In other words, displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account direction, while distance is a scalar quantity that only considers magnitude.

3. How does the mass of the cart affect the distance traveled?

The mass of the cart does not directly affect the distance traveled. However, it does affect the acceleration of the cart, which in turn affects the velocity and therefore, the distance traveled. A heavier cart will require more force to accelerate and will therefore travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time as a lighter cart.

4. Can friction affect the distance traveled by a cart?

Yes, friction can affect the distance traveled by a cart. Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down or stop the cart. This means that the cart will travel a shorter distance if there is more friction present.

5. What other factors can affect the distance traveled by a cart?

Other factors that can affect the distance traveled by a cart include the initial velocity, the applied force, and the incline of the surface the cart is traveling on. These factors can change the acceleration and velocity of the cart, resulting in a different distance traveled.