Dyanimcs problem. find the dustance traveled using of a cart

  • Thread starter Thread starter baileypatrick8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cart
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
baileypatrick8
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The system is released from rest with no slack in the cable and with the spring stretched 200mm. Determine the distance s traveled by the 10kg cat before it comes to rest (a) if m approaches zero and (b) if m = 2kg. Assume no mechanical interference.
Mass of cart = 10kg, k = 125 the spring starts stretched .2m

Homework Equations



I have attached a picture of the problem n as well as my attempt at solving it.

The Attempt at a Solution


I assumed the work of the cart would equal that of the spring. I found the acceleration of the cart is twice that of the spring through f = ma I got
10kg (g) sin25 - T = mAx

And in the y firection for the spring assumed the force of the spring down is equal to twice that of T with Fs = 125/2 (.2^2 -(.2-d)^2)

From here I tried set ting the work of each equal to each other and integrating and got the wrong answer.
 
Attachments
  • 20130216_152114.jpg
    20130216_152114.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Hw 5.pdf
    Hw 5.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,594
Physics news on Phys.org
Your file is damaged and cannot be opened.
 
I hope it worked this time. The preview showed up fine on my end
 
Attachments