1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dyanimcs problem. find the dustance traveled using of a cart

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The system is released from rest with no slack in the cable and with the spring stretched 200mm. Determine the distance s traveled by the 10kg cat before it comes to rest (a) if m approaches zero and (b) if m = 2kg. Assume no mechanical interference.
    Mass of cart = 10kg, k = 125 the spring starts stretched .2m

2. Relevant equations

I have attached a picture of the problem n as well as my attempt at solving it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed the work of the cart would equal that of the spring. I found the acceleration of the cart is twice that of the spring through f = ma I got
    10kg (g) sin25 - T = mAx

And in the y firection for the spring assumed the force of the spring down is equal to twice that of T with Fs = 125/2 (.2^2 -(.2-d)^2)

From here I tried set ting the work of each equal to each other and integrating and got the wrong answer.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your file is damaged and cannot be opened.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    I hope it worked this time. The preview showed up fine on my end

Attached Files:

• Hw 5.pdf
      Hw 5.pdf
      File size:
      209.3 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook