Rotational Dynamics Practice Problems

In summary, the conversation discussed two physics problems involving tension in cords and the moment of inertia of a pulley. For the first problem, the tension in each part of the cord was calculated using Newton's 2nd Law and the net torque. However, the mass of the pulley was not given, so it could not be solved. For the second problem, the concept of adding the weights of the pulley and the two masses was discussed, but the correct solution involved considering the masses in motion.
rwx1606

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on two problems so I'll just write them both here.
A. A 2.00kg textbook rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface. A cord attached to the book passes over a pulley whose diameter is 0.150m, to a hanging book with mass 3.00kg. The system is released from rest, and the books are observed to move 1.20m in .800s. What is the tension in each part of the cord. What is the moment of inertia of the pulley about its rotational axis.
B.Two weights are connected by a very light flexible cord that passes over a 50.0N frictionless pulley of radius .300m. The pulley is a solid uniform disk and is supported by a hook connected to the ceiling. What force does the hook exert on the hook. The weight on the left is 75.0N, and the weight on the right is 125N.

Homework Equations

A.τ = Iα, I=1/2MR^2,[tex]\alpha[/tex]=a/R

B.I=1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A. For this problem I used Newton's 2nd Law for the two books to calculate the tension. The horizontal tension, which I'll call T1, was equal to 2a. The vertical tension, T2, is a mg+ma=29.4+3a. I then proceeded to calculate the net torque and got a (T1-T2)R. And set that equal to the moment of inertia I, times the angular acceleration. I converted the angular acceleration into terms of translational acceleration. So (T1-T2)R=1/2MR^2(a/R). After eliminate some variables, I get that the a=2(T1-T2)/M. The trouble is, I have three sets of equations to solve for the tensions, and acceleration but how do I get M, the mass of the pulley?
B.I don't get the concept in this question. I attempted to just add the weight of the pulley and the two weights and this was equal to 250N. I know the ceiling will pull up on the hook with the same force the pulley pulls down on the hook with. But the answer is 239N and I don't know how they got that. I know I'm missing something key, but can't quite figure it out.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
no one? :(

For the first question, you were given enough information in the question to find 'a' without having to solve for it with your system of equations. Figure out that, and things should become easier.

For the second question, I think the masses are supposed to be moving. So how would that change things?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can be described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Translational motion refers to the movement of an object from one position to another, while rotational motion involves the spinning or turning of an object around an axis.

3. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. The two are related by the formula: angular velocity = linear velocity / radius.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

5. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for causing changes in an object's rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.