1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - Newtons 2nd law.

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I attached the photo of the question that has everything.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] F=ma [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I found the total mass of the system 50+35 = 85. Since we are given the force in the x-direction I used [itex] \frac{70}{85} = a = .8235 [/itex]. The weight of the cylinder is 50*g = 490 N, and weight of the cart is 35*g = 343 N. But I don't know where to go from there. I know that the reaction at A will be larger than at B because the "pulling" force will cause the cylinder to push more on the left side of the cart.. But I don't know how to relate anything to get useful equations.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your acceleration calc in the x directon is correct. The cylinder must also move at that same acceleration in the x direction. What is the cylinder's acceleration in the y direction? You must draw a free body diagram of the cylinder and identify the forces acting on the cylinder in the x and y directions. In what direction do the normal forces act? Then use newton's laws in the x and y direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook