1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics pulley system.

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car mechanic wants to lift the engine from a car using a rope and pulley
    arrangement. He considers two options, shown in Figure Q1a and Figure Q1b. The car engine
    has a mass, m, of 200kg, and the maximum force that the mechanic can exert on the rope, P, is
    1500N. Use a free-body diagram approach to derive expressions for the acceleration
    experienced by the car engine in each case. Use these expressions to calculate the vertical
    acceleration of the engine if the mechanic exerts the maximum force on the rope. You may
    neglect the mass of the pulley systems, and assume that they are frictionless.

Why can the man lift the engine in case b)(right of the figure). but not a)(left of figure)?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\sum= Fy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

this is a dynamics question. i think wat i would do is find the sum of forces in the X and Y direction. however i am not sure. either the or it would be using circular accelertion.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Attach figures, please.
  4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    soz for the rubbish drawing
  5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is mechanical advantage working for the mechanic. Draw a free body diagram of the engine in case a; then draw a free body diagram of the engine and pulley in case b. Use newton's laws. Acceleration of the engine is not 'circular', it is 'linear' (it moves and accelerates straight up, if it is to move at all). Note that tensions in the rope on either side of an ideal pulley are the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook