Dyson- Maleev representation

In summary, the operators S+ and S- have been used frequently in solid state physics due to the convenience of their representation and the finite number of terms in the Hamiltonian. This representation is particularly useful for S \geq \frac{1}{2}, as seen in the Holstein-Primakoff transformation. Although S+ and S- are not hermitian conjugates, they satisfy the spin-commutation relations and thus provide a faithful representation. The use of these operators is not limited to any specific canonical transformation, allowing for greater flexibility in their application.
Petar Mali
[tex]\hat{S}^+_i=\sqrt{2S}(\hat{a}_i-\frac{1}{2S}\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i\hat{a}_i)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{S}^-_i=\sqrt{2S}\hat{a}^+_i, \quad
\hat{S}^z_i=S-\hat{a}^+_i\hat{a}_i[/tex]

Why is in solid state physics often convenient to use this representation? It is obvious that

[tex](\hat{S}^-_i)^{\dagger}\neq \hat{S}^+_i[/tex]

And Hamiltonian of Heisenberg model is hermitian!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this transformation has advantage that the Hamiltonian has finite number of terms? Is that only advantage?

This representation is in use for [tex]S \geq \frac{1}{2}[/tex] like Holstein Primakoff representation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holstein–Primakoff_transformation

in which we have square root of some function of operator which has infinitely terms when we expand it in Taylor series!

Dyson Maleev representation has finite number of terms but it isn't hermitian! So I suppose this is only adventage! Am I right?

canonical transform

Hi Petar Mali

This is almost 3 years after the fact, so you may realize this by now. You are right that S+ and S- are not hermitian conjugates of one another. You are also right in realizing that Dyson/Maleev has finite number of terms in the Hamiltonian. The fact is that S+, S-, and Sz satisfy the spin-commutation relations (c.f., Milhaly/Martin's text on problems/solutions in solid state physics). The constraint that one must write down operators that are faithful to the spin-commutation relations is the only limit to your imagination, so to speak. All's far in love, war, and canonical transformations.

1. What is Dyson-Maleev representation?

Dyson-Maleev representation is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to express the Hamiltonian operator in terms of a set of creation and annihilation operators. This representation is useful for simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. Who developed the Dyson-Maleev representation?

The Dyson-Maleev representation was developed by the physicists Freeman Dyson and Victor Maleev in the 1950s.

3. How is Dyson-Maleev representation different from other representations?

Dyson-Maleev representation is a unitary transformation of the Hamiltonian operator, which means it preserves the physical properties of the system. This is in contrast to other representations, such as the Schrödinger or Heisenberg representations, which may not preserve these properties.

4. What are the advantages of using Dyson-Maleev representation?

One of the main advantages of using Dyson-Maleev representation is that it simplifies the calculations involved in solving quantum mechanical problems. It also leads to a clearer understanding of the underlying physics of the system.

5. In what applications is Dyson-Maleev representation commonly used?

Dyson-Maleev representation is commonly used in condensed matter physics, particularly in the study of quantum many-body systems. It is also used in quantum field theory and quantum information theory.