Calculating E.M.F and Internal Resistance of a Cell in Series Circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the e.m.f. and internal resistance of a cell of unknown values, connected in series with a variable resistor. By using the equations V=IR, emf = v + vr, and emf = v + ir, and calculating the currents at different resistor values, a graph can be drawn to determine the e.m.f. as 1.5V and the internal resistance as -0.25. By using the equation I = ε /( r + R ) and solving for r, the correct value for internal resistance can be calculated regardless of the location of the voltmeter.
Scottie

Homework Statement

A cell of unknown e.m.f. , ε , and internal resistance, r, is connected in series with a
variable resistor. A voltmeter is then connected across the terminals of the resistor.
When the resistor has a value of 16.0 Ω the voltmeter reads 1.20 V. When the
resistance is reduced to 8.0 Ω the voltmeter reading falls to 1.00 V.

Calculate the e.m.f. and internal resistance of the cell

Homework Equations

V=IR
emf = v + vr
emf = v + ir
(r = internal resistance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I (perhaps wrongly) worked out each current for the given voltages and resistances as

1.2/16= 0.075A
1/8 = 0.125A

I then drew a graph of voltage against current, (I think I may be wrong here also) to find that the e.m.f is 1.5v and the internal resistance(gradient with the two points of (current , voltage)) as -0.25.

But I cannot seem to get calculatiosn with these to add up for instance if the emf is 1.5 then v at either point 1.2 or 1 added to current x internal resistance should equate to 1.5.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Currents you have calculated can be written as I = ε /( r + R ). Write two equations for two currents and solve for r.

rl.bhat said:
Currents you have calculated can be written as I = ε /( r + R ). Write two equations for two currents and solve for r.

Hi, Thanks alot.

I saw the other thread in which you helped https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=352782

I was a little unsure if the currents were correct due to the location of the voltmeter but I have discovered and you have confirmed the location doesn't matter in this case.

Thanks again!

Related to Calculating E.M.F and Internal Resistance of a Cell in Series Circuit

1. What is E.M.F and internal resistance?

E.M.F stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage produced by a source of electrical energy, such as a battery. Internal resistance refers to the resistance within a source of electrical energy, which can affect the voltage output.

2. How is E.M.F and internal resistance measured?

E.M.F is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. Internal resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) using an ohmmeter.

3. What factors affect E.M.F and internal resistance?

E.M.F can be affected by the type of material used in the battery, as well as its size and construction. Internal resistance can be affected by the material used in the battery's electrodes, the distance between the electrodes, and the temperature of the battery.

4. What is the relationship between E.M.F and internal resistance?

There is an inverse relationship between E.M.F and internal resistance. As internal resistance increases, E.M.F decreases. This means that the voltage output of a battery will decrease as its internal resistance increases.

5. How can E.M.F and internal resistance be reduced?

E.M.F and internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance for the battery's electrodes, increasing the distance between the electrodes, and keeping the battery at a lower temperature. Additionally, using a larger battery can also help reduce internal resistance.