The Fascinating Possibility of Reversed Earth Rotation

In summary, if the Earth stopped spinning, various things could happen. Some things depend on the west-east motion of Earth, and others would be based on the normal force of the ground. The unusually high temperature at one end and low at the other would cause great storms, and the air density would be affected.
ashishsinghal
What would happen if the Earth stopped rotating or rotated in the opposite direction?
This question has amused me for quite some time and I wanted to share this with you guys...

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how fast it "stopped" and how long it stayed "stopped". Around the equator the surface speed due to rotation is ~1000mph. If it stopped suddenly enough, earthquakes and tidal waves would pretty much wipe things clean. After some period of time "being stopped", the "bright side" of the world would become extremely hot, and the "dark side" would get extremely cold. Enormous storms would rage pretty much constantly. I am sure there are other "negative impact" results...

Fish

ashishsinghal said:
What would happen if the Earth stopped rotating or rotated in the opposite direction?
This question has amused me for quite some time and I wanted to share this with you guys...
Fish will fly through the air, upside down.

This is a nonsense question, so all you will get are nonsense answers like the one I just gave. You are essentially asking "what do the laws of physics say will happen after the laws of physics magically stop working".

If it is nonsense to you do not comment on it.

rotated in the opposite direction?

Stand at the North Pole, then stand at the South Pole.

Does the Earth seem to be rotating in the opposite direction? :bugeye:

Tyrannical said:
Does the Earth seem to be rotating in the opposite direction? :bugeye:

Are you talking about Right-Left. What difference would it make in East-West directions.

Also my question was that if the direction of spin reverses keeping the observer at the same position.
You may also consider the question this way.
Which things depend upon west to east motion of earth.
One is the motion of waves and currents. What else

The unusually high temperature at one end and low at the other will cause great storms and also the air density will be affected. Also a bit of our weight will decrease. By weight I mean the normal force from ground.

ashishsinghal said:
The unusually high temperature at one end and low at the other will cause great storms and also the air density will be affected.
Anything can happen if the laws of physics suddenly stop working. However, from whence did this "unusually high temperature at one end and low at the other" originate, and what
are these "ends" of the Earth?

Also a bit of our weight will decrease. By weight I mean the normal force from ground.
That the Earth is spinning means our scale weight is slightly smaller in magnitude than is the gravitational force.

With that, thread locked. Please read our rules on personal theories.

What is the reversed earth rotation hypothesis?

The reversed earth rotation hypothesis proposes that the Earth's rotation direction could potentially change, causing the Sun to rise in the west and set in the east instead of the current east to west rotation.

What is the evidence for reversed earth rotation?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of reversed earth rotation. In fact, many studies have shown that the Earth's rotation is stable and has not changed direction in millions of years.

What would be the consequences of reversed earth rotation?

If the Earth's rotation were to suddenly reverse, it would have catastrophic effects on the planet's climate, weather patterns, and ecosystems. It could also potentially disrupt communication and navigation systems.

Could human activity cause the Earth's rotation to reverse?

No, human activity does not have the capability to change the Earth's rotation direction. The rotation of the Earth is primarily influenced by the planet's mass and angular momentum.

Is it possible for the Earth's rotation to reverse in the future?

While highly unlikely, it is not impossible for the Earth's rotation to reverse in the distant future. However, this would likely occur over millions of years due to natural geological processes, not suddenly or as a result of human activity.