Echolocation, Relativity & Simultaneity: What Changes?

• Thread starter UndeniablyRex
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects on relativity if humans were blind and relied on echolocation. It is argued that this would not change the maximum speed, c, and that our experiments and equations would simply need to be adjusted to account for this form of perception.
UndeniablyRex
I'm not sure where to put this question, but relativity sounds about right.

Suppose all human race were blind and had no idea that em radiation even exists; suppose we "saw" with echolocation. How does this now effect relativity? Simultaneity is now heavily skewed because now the speed that information comes to us is very much smaller.

Does the maximum speed, c, change? obviously not, but I don't know enough about relativity to prove why.

Physics news on Phys.org
UndeniablyRex said:

Suppose all human race were blind and had no idea that em radiation even exists; suppose we "saw" with echolocation. How does this now effect relativity? Simultaneity is now heavily skewed because now the speed that information comes to us is very much smaller.

Does the maximum speed, c, change? obviously not, but I don't know enough about relativity to prove why.

Prove why?
Well, why would anything change if we were blind? If we could feel, we might have been sending signals by electric pulses, or be laserbeaming each others arms, burning the information, I dunno. But that anything would change just because human kind was blinded, that ludicrous.

UndeniablyRex said:

We are blind to the vast majority of em radiation but we convert it into forms that we can see through our technology. If echolocation was the only way to see, then our experiments would have to convert everything into that medium. This doesn't affect the final equations - just how we go about determining them.

Related to Echolocation, Relativity & Simultaneity: What Changes?

1. What is echolocation and how does it work?

Echolocation is a sensory system used by some animals, such as bats and dolphins, to navigate and locate objects in their environment. It works by emitting sound waves and then listening to the echoes that bounce back, which can give the animal information about the size, shape, and distance of objects.

2. How does relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass slower or faster for different observers, and distances can appear to be different depending on the observer's speed and direction of motion.

3. Can relativity and simultaneity coexist?

Yes, relativity and simultaneity can coexist. In the theory of relativity, events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer, but this does not mean that events cannot occur simultaneously in an absolute sense. It simply means that the concept of simultaneity is relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

4. How do changes in gravity affect the perception of time?

According to the theory of relativity, gravity can affect the perception of time. The closer an object is to a source of gravity, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This is known as gravitational time dilation and has been confirmed by experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. Can echolocation be used by humans?

While humans do not have the natural ability of echolocation, some blind individuals have been able to learn and use echolocation techniques to navigate their environment. This involves making clicking sounds and listening to the echoes to determine the location of objects. However, the abilities of human echolocation are limited compared to animals that have evolved this skill.