Effect of Adding Water on Reaction Rate: Rate Law Theory Question

In summary, the rate of the chemical reaction does not change when 500mL of water is added to the solution, as the water does not have any effect on the reaction. The only potential effect could be a dipole-dipole interaction between the H2O and H+ ions, which may lower the collision factor and therefore the rate. However, this is not significant enough to cause a change in the overall rate. The addition of more solvent dilutes the solution, resulting in a decrease in concentration and a decrease in rate.
Fetch

Homework Statement

Consider: A(aq) + D(l) -> B(aq) + C(aq)
Rate Law: k[H+][A]

Does the rate increase, decrease, or stay the same, when 500mL of water are added to the solution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was no. The water doesn't have any effect on the chemical reaction. All I could think of was a dipole dipole interaction between the H2O(l) and the H+ which might lower the collision factor because of interference, which in turn would lower the rate of the reaction.

Again though, I'm not sure. Can someone shed some light please? My exam is on Monday and this question is coming home drunk and beating me up.Edit: Nevermind. The addition of more solvent dilutes the solution. Decrease in concentration = decrease in rate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
Hi Greg,

In the last line, he indicated that he got it solved.

Chet

Likes 1 person

1. What is the rate law theory?

The rate law theory, also known as the rate equation, is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the rate of a chemical reaction and the concentrations of reactants. It is an important tool in understanding and predicting the rate at which a reaction will occur.

2. How is the rate law determined?

The rate law is determined experimentally by measuring the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants. By comparing the initial rates, the exponents of the reactant concentrations can be determined and used to write the rate law equation.

3. What factors affect the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be affected by various factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of catalysts. Changes in these factors can alter the rate of the reaction by changing the number of collisions between particles or the energy of the collisions.

4. How does the rate law relate to the rate constant?

The rate law and the rate constant are related through the coefficients in the rate law equation. The rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of the reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is specific for a particular reaction at a given temperature.

5. What is the difference between the rate law and the equilibrium constant?

The rate law and the equilibrium constant are two different concepts. The rate law describes the rate of a reaction at a particular moment in time, while the equilibrium constant describes the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. The rate law is influenced by factors such as temperature and concentration, while the equilibrium constant is only affected by temperature.