Efficiency of a heat engine at high temps

In summary, the maximum efficiency of a heat engine with operating temperatures of 550oC and 365oC can be calculated using the equation E=1-Thot/Tcold. The correct expression for efficiency is 1-Tcold/Thot, and Kelvin should be used for temperature values.
notsam

Homework Statement

What is the maximum effciency of a heat engine whose operating tempuratures are 550oC and 365oC?

Homework Equations

E=1-Thot/Tcold

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE HELP! My thinking is that the effciency is equal two one minus the temperature in the hot resavour divided by the temperature in the cold resavour. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
notsam said:

Homework Statement

What is the maximum effciency of a heat engine whose operating tempuratures are 550oC and 365oC?

Homework Equations

E=1-Thot/Tcold

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE HELP! My thinking is that the efficiency is equal to one minus the temperature in the hot reservoir divided by the temperature in the cold reservoir. Is that correct?
You have it upside down. If it was Th/Tc you would have negative efficiency which makes no sense. The correct expression for efficiency of a Carnot engine is:

[tex]\eta = 1 - \frac{T_c}{T_h}[/tex]

AM

Ok :) At least I'm somewhat on the right track. THANKS!

I use Kelvin correct?

notsam said:
I use Kelvin correct?
Correct.

AM

Related to Efficiency of a heat engine at high temps

1. What is the efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures?

The efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures depends on the type of engine and the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. Generally, the efficiency increases as the temperature difference increases.

2. How does the Carnot efficiency change at high temperatures?

The Carnot efficiency, which is the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine, decreases at high temperatures. This is because the Carnot efficiency is dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, and at high temperatures, this difference becomes smaller.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures?

The efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of engine, and the materials used to construct the engine.

4. Can the efficiency of a heat engine be increased at high temperatures?

Yes, the efficiency of a heat engine can be increased at high temperatures by improving the design and materials used in the engine. This can include using materials with higher melting points, reducing friction within the engine, and optimizing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

5. Why is it important to consider the efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures?

Considering the efficiency of a heat engine at high temperatures is important because it can have a significant impact on the overall performance and cost-effectiveness of the engine. A more efficient heat engine can result in lower energy costs and reduced environmental impact.