Efficient Biology Dilution Techniques for Accurate Results | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about diluting blood with saline solution in a ratio of 1:10 and needing 20 cm3 of the blood solution. The person asking for help is unsure if they should mix 1 cm3 of blood with 9 cm3 of saline or 1 cm3 of blood with 10 cm3 of saline. The expert advises to follow the instructions and dilute 1 mL of blood with 10 mL of saline. They also mention that a 1:9 ratio would work for diluting ten times, but may not be precise enough for analytical work. A helpful resource is also provided for further clarification.
poli275

Homework Statement

Here goes the question: I was told to dilute blood with saline solution, in the ratio of 1 part of blood to 10 parts of saline. I need around 20 cm3 of the blood solution.

2. The attempt at a solution

I did it by placing 1 cm3 of blood into a testube, then follow by 9 cm3 of saline solution. Is my way correct? Or I'm suppose to mix 1 cm3 of blood with 10 cm3 of saline?

Thanks for helping :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take 1 mL of blood and 10 mL of saline, that's what you were told to do.

1:9 would work if you were asked to dilute ten times.

Not that that matters much (unless you are doing some precise analytical work). Difference between final concentrations is in the 1% range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Efficient Biology Dilution Techniques for Accurate Results | Homework Help

1. What are the basic principles of dilution in biology?

The basic principle of dilution in biology is to reduce the concentration of a sample by adding a known amount of solvent. This results in a more manageable concentration for testing or experimentation. Dilution can be done by using a dilution factor, which is calculated by dividing the final concentration by the initial concentration.

2. How do I determine the appropriate dilution factor for my sample?

The appropriate dilution factor for your sample will depend on the initial concentration and the desired final concentration. To determine the dilution factor, divide the final concentration by the initial concentration. For example, if you want a final concentration of 1:10 and your initial concentration is 1:100, the dilution factor would be 1:10 ÷ 1:100 = 1/10 or 0.1.

3. What is the best method for preparing dilutions in biology?

The best method for preparing dilutions in biology is through serial dilution. This involves diluting a sample multiple times in a stepwise manner, which ensures a more accurate and precise result. Each dilution is done using a new pipette to avoid contamination and ensure accurate measurements.

4. How do I properly mix my diluted sample?

To properly mix your diluted sample, gently vortex or invert the tube multiple times. This ensures that the sample is evenly mixed and the dilution is consistent throughout. It is important to avoid vigorous mixing, as this can introduce air bubbles and affect the accuracy of the dilution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when making dilutions in biology?

Some common mistakes to avoid when making dilutions in biology include not properly labeling the dilution tubes, using the wrong dilution factor, not using a new pipette for each dilution, and not mixing the diluted sample properly. It is also important to use accurate and precise measurement techniques, such as using calibrated pipettes, to ensure the accuracy of the dilution.