Efficient Trig Substitution for Simple Integration Problem

In summary: It reduces any rational function of sin x and cos x into a rational function of t. In fact its not when all hope is lost, its the first thing you do for many trig integrals.In summary, the student is trying to integrate the equation \int\frac{dx}{3\sin x+2} but is having trouble with it. He has tried u-substitution and a trigonometric substitution, but is not getting anywhere. He is looking for help and is grateful for the help he has received so far.
dtl42
[SOLVED] Simple Integration Problem

Homework Statement

Integrate: [tex]\int\frac{dx}{3\sin x+2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

...none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this by u-sub, and that was unsuccessful, then after that I tried a trig. sub with 3sinx=2tan(theta)^2, and that got very messy, really fast. So, I'm kinda stuck, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{3\sin x+2}[/tex]

Yes?

Yea, sorry about that.

OK, I updated it with the Latex.

do you mean : [tex]dt=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}[/tex] ?

Grr. I'm stumped. Must think harder.

Yea, I've been working on and off with this one for a few hours, and I even plugged it into Mathematica's Integrator, but I get some crazily complicated stuff. I'm really in need of help with it...

Well, I have this so far ...

[tex]t=\sin x[/tex]
[tex]x=\sin^{-1}t[/tex]
[tex]dx=\frac{dt}{\sqrt{1-t^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dt}{(3t+2)\sqrt{1-t^2}}[/tex]

Looking at Mathematica, I may be on the right track. I'm going to try a hyperbolic substitution now.

I think I'm going to start over, I need to use the so called world's sneakiest substitution, lol. If I can remember how to use it :p Gotta look through my book.

When seeing some integrals like this, i.e, those trigonometric functions, that clearly cannot use other normal u-substitution, then, we must think about substituting tan(x/2).

So, let:

• u = tan(x/2).

~~~> du = (1/2) (1 + tan2(x/2)) dx = [1/2 (1 + u2)] dx

~~~> dx = (2 du) / (1 + u2)
  • sin(x) = (2u) / (1 + u2)

You know this formula, right? If not, here's a simple proof:

[tex]\sin (x) = \sin (2 \times \frac{x}{2}) = 2 \sin \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) = 2 \cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) \frac{\sin \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}{\cos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}[/tex]

[tex]= 2 \frac{1}{\frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) }} \tan \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) = 2 \frac{\tan \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)}{1 + \tan ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) } = \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex] (Q.E.D)

So, your integral will become:

[tex]\int \frac{\frac{2}{1 + u ^ 2}}{3 \times \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2} + 2} du[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Very nice VietDao :-] I was lookin through my book and next refresh I see your work. Very clean!

Thanks a lot, that is the first time that I've seen that substitution used. How often is it usually employed? What situations does it work for?

Try this
[tex]x=2\,\arctan u\Rightarrow u=\tan \frac{x}{2},\,d\,x=\frac{2\,du}{1+u^2}[/tex]
with
[tex]\sin x=\frac{2\,\tan \frac{x}{2}}{1+\tan^2\frac{x}{2}}\Rightarrow \sin x=\frac{2\,u}{1+u^2}[/tex]

Oupps! VietDao29 was faster :smile:

rocophysics said:
Very nice VietDao :-] I was lookin through my book and next refresh I see your work. Very clean!

Yah, thanks a lot.. :blushing: :blushing:

dtl42 said:
Thanks a lot, that is the first time that I've seen that substitution used. How often is it usually employed? What situations does it work for?

Well, it works for some types like:

[tex]\int \frac{\alpha}{\beta \sin (x) + \gamma } dx[/tex], [tex]\int \frac{\alpha}{\beta \cos (x) + \gamma } dx[/tex], [tex]\int \frac{\alpha}{\beta \sin (x) + \gamma \cos (x) + \delta } dx[/tex], ...

where alpha, beta, gamma, and delta are all constants. :)

There are some more, but the 3 listed above are the most common ones..

Last edited:
dtl42 said:
What situations does it work for?
When all hope is lost :-D

Oh, that's interesting, it seems I've been deprived of any exposure to those types. Thanks to everyone for answering so quickly.

It reduces any rational function of sin x and cos x into a rational function of t. In fact its not when all hope is lost, its the first thing you do for many trig integrals.

What is a simple integration problem?

A simple integration problem is a mathematical exercise that involves finding the integral of a given function. It requires the application of integration rules and techniques to solve.

What are the steps for solving a simple integration problem?

The steps for solving a simple integration problem are as follows:1. Identify the given function and determine if it is a basic function or a composite function.2. If it is a basic function, apply the appropriate integration rule (power rule, exponential rule, etc.) to find the integral.3. If it is a composite function, use the chain rule or substitution method to simplify the expression.4. Evaluate the integral and add the constant of integration, if necessary.

What are some common integration rules used in simple integration problems?

Some common integration rules used in simple integration problems include:1. Power rule: ∫xn dx = (xn+1)/(n+1) + C2. Exponential rule: ∫e^x dx = e^x + C3. Trigonometric rule: ∫sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C4. Substitution rule: ∫f(g(x))g'(x) dx = ∫f(u) du, where u = g(x)

What are some helpful tips for solving simple integration problems?

Some helpful tips for solving simple integration problems include:1. Familiarize yourself with the common integration rules and practice using them.2. Pay attention to the given function and determine if it is a basic function or a composite function.3. If it is a composite function, try to simplify it using the chain rule or substitution method.4. Don't forget to include the constant of integration in your final answer.5. Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the easier it will become.

What are some real-life applications of simple integration problems?

Simple integration problems have various real-life applications, including:1. In physics, integration is used to calculate the area under a curve, which is used to determine displacement, velocity, acceleration, and other physical quantities.2. In economics, integration is used to calculate the total revenue and cost functions, which are used to maximize profit.3. In engineering, integration is used to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.4. In statistics, integration is used to calculate the area under a probability distribution curve, which is used to determine probabilities and confidence intervals.