Construct a Balsa Wood Device to Protect an Egg from Drops

In summary, the objective is to create a balsa wood device that can protect an egg from breaking when dropped from various heights. The device must be constructed only using 1/8 x 1/8 inch balsa wood, with individual pieces being able to be laminated together to create larger cross sectional areas. The device cannot have any side longer than one foot and the egg must be able to be removed from it. A grade A large chicken egg will be used and it will be dropped from heights of .5m, 1m, 1.5m, and 2m. The given materials are 15 strips of 1/8 x 1/8 inch balsa wood that are 1 meter long
BrianTW

Homework Statement

Objective: To produce a balsa wood device that will hold and protect an egg from breaking when released from various heights.

RULES
1. The device must be constructed using ONLY balsa wood (1/8 x 1/8 in)
2. Individual pieces of balsa wood may be laminated together in any fashion to produce cross sectional areas larger than 1/8 x 1/8 in
3. No side of the device can be longer than one foot.
4. The egg must be able to be removed from the device.
5. An egg is considered broken if it has a visible crack or more significant damage.
6. A grade A large chicken egg must be used.

We're given 15 strips of balsa wood, 1/8 x 1/8 in and 1 meter long.
The egg will be dropped from .5 m, 1m, 1.5m, and 2m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to create a small rectangular mass of wood. It would be something like 3x3 or 4x4 and 7 inches long. When stood upright, the wood would have a hole just big enough for the egg to fit in in the center of the 3x3 side. The hole would extend 4 inches downward, leaving 3 inches of solid wood between the bottom of the egg and the bottom of the device.
I'm not sure if this will work though. I'm afraid that the momentum from the impact will break the bottom of the egg.
We're only given one set of wood, so I can't build this and test it. Whatever we build on the first try is our final project. Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to do egg drops for science olympiad with popsicle sticks, but I found that a cone structure usually worked better than the rectangular ones.

for the suggestion! I would approach this problem by first considering the forces acting on the egg during the drops. The main force acting on the egg is gravity, which will cause the egg to accelerate towards the ground. The goal of the balsa wood device is to reduce the impact force on the egg and distribute it over a larger area.

One possible design for the device could be a cube made of the balsa wood strips, with a hole in the center for the egg to fit in. The cube could also have a small platform at the bottom to further distribute the impact force. To prevent the egg from slipping out of the hole, a small piece of foam or cushioning material could be placed inside.

Another idea could be to create a triangular prism shape with the balsa wood strips, with the egg placed in the center of one of the triangular faces. This shape would distribute the force over a larger area and also provide some cushioning for the egg.

To ensure the device meets the requirements, it would be important to carefully measure and cut the balsa wood strips to create a stable and sturdy structure. Additionally, using glue or other adhesive to secure the joints between the strips could help strengthen the device.

It would also be beneficial to run some simulations or calculations to estimate the impact force on the egg at different heights. This could help in determining the best design for the device and ensure its success in protecting the egg.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the forces at play and design a device that can effectively distribute and absorb the impact force to protect the egg from breaking. Good luck with your project!

1. What materials do I need to construct a balsa wood device to protect an egg from drops?

To construct a balsa wood device, you will need balsa wood sheets, glue, scissors, ruler, pencil, and an egg.

2. How do I design the structure of the balsa wood device?

You can use a pencil and ruler to draw a design on the balsa wood sheets. It is important to create a sturdy structure with enough cushioning to protect the egg from impact.

3. How do I assemble the balsa wood device?

Start by cutting the balsa wood sheets according to your design. Then, use glue to attach the pieces together. Make sure to let the glue dry completely before testing the device with an egg.

4. How do I test the effectiveness of the balsa wood device?

Place the egg inside the device and drop it from different heights. If the egg remains intact after each drop, then the device is effective in protecting the egg.

5. How can I improve the design of the balsa wood device?

You can experiment with different designs and materials to improve the effectiveness of the balsa wood device. You can also try adding more layers of balsa wood or other cushioning materials to increase the protection for the egg.