Elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen

In summary, if a particle strikes another particle of approximately the same mass, then the target particle could absorb most of the energy (kinetic) and momentum and move off. This happens most commonly with protons and neutrons, which have a mass of 1, and can lose a significant amount of energy in a single collision.
sm.malkapur
I am new to nuclear engg., i want to know the phenomenon of elastic scattering of neutrons.

Resources available in the net suggest that in materials containing atoms of low atomic mass(hydrogen), neutrons of all energies can lose a significant fraction of their energy in a single elastic collision. As i understand, collision of a neutron, which has mass of 1, with a 1H nucleus could result in the neutron losing virtually all of its energy in a single head-on collision.

Here i want to know what happens to hydrogen which absorbs neutron energy. please clarify.
If there are any related links pls let me know..

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sm.malkapur said:
I am new to nuclear engg., i want to know the phenomenon of elastic scattering of neutrons.

Resources available in the net suggest that in materials containing atoms of low atomic mass(hydrogen), neutrons of all energies can lose a significant fraction of their energy in a single elastic collision. As i understand, collision of a neutron, which has mass of 1, with a 1H nucleus could result in the neutron losing virtually all of its energy in a single head-on collision.

Here i want to know what happens to hydrogen which absorbs neutron energy. please clarify.
If there are any related links pls let me know..

Thank you.
If a particle strikes another particle of approximately the same mass, then the target particle could absorb most of the energy (kinetic) and momentum and move off. In the case of a proton (nucleus of a hydrogen atom), it would simple travel and ionize the atoms in the medium through which it travels.

An example of elastic collision between objects of the same or similar mass.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/colsta.html#c2

If a proton combines with (absorbs) a neutron, it forms a deuteron (the nucleus of a deuterium atom).

It would be rare to have an exact head on collision. In most cases, it is a glancing collision, so the neutron loses some, but not all, energy.

do protons also ionise atoms..?
Thank you for ur quick reply Mr. Astronuc.
Here i did not understand the following part of ur reply " In the case of a proton (nucleus of a hydrogen atom), it would simple travel and ionize the atoms in the medium through which it travels".
As i know the ionisation process is by loss or gain of "electrons", do protons also ionise atoms..?
If we take a unit mass of a hydrogenous material (polyethylene), and assume collision was with a particular hydrogen nucleus, would this travel in this mass and tries to ionise the atoms/molecules.?

sm.malkapur said:
do protons also ionise atoms..?
Thank you for your quick reply Mr. Astronuc.
Here i did not understand the following part of your reply " In the case of a proton (nucleus of a hydrogen atom), it would simple travel and ionize the atoms in the medium through which it travels".
As i know the ionisation process is by loss or gain of "electrons", do protons also ionise atoms..?
If we take a unit mass of a hydrogenous material (polyethylene), and assume collision was with a particular hydrogen nucleus, would this travel in this mass and tries to ionise the atoms/molecules.?
Charged particles interact with atomic electrons in the medium through which they travel. Protons, alpha particles, beta particles (electrons and positrons) cause significant ionization. Photons (X-rays and gamma rays) also ionize atoms through the Compton (scattering) and photoelectric effects.

At some point, the proton would sufficiently slow down and recombine with an electron to form a hydrogen atom. It could become part of an organic molecule or a hydride in a metal, or part of a hydroxyl ion if it enounters an oxygen atom.

In most cases, ions recombine with electrons.

Thank you Mr. Astronuc,

discussion with you was great and has cleared lot of my doubts.
-
Regards
Santhosh Malkapur
(sm.malkapur)

1. What is elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen?

Elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen is a phenomenon that occurs when a neutron collides with a hydrogen atom and is deflected without any change in its energy. This is in contrast to inelastic scattering, where the neutron loses energy in the collision.

2. Why is elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen important in science?

Elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen is important in science because it is a useful tool for studying the structure and properties of materials. By analyzing the patterns and intensities of scattered neutrons, scientists can gain information about the arrangement of atoms and the types of interactions present in a material.

3. How does elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen differ from other forms of scattering?

Elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen differs from other forms of scattering, such as X-ray scattering, because neutrons are electrically neutral particles and are therefore more sensitive to the nuclear structure of a material. This makes neutron scattering a valuable technique for studying the atomic and magnetic structure of materials.

4. What are some real-world applications of elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen?

Elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen has many real-world applications, including in materials science, where it is used to study the structure and behavior of materials in fields such as nanotechnology, metallurgy, and biology. It is also used in the development of new medicines, as well as in the analysis of archaeological artifacts and cultural heritage objects.

5. How is elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen studied in the laboratory?

In the laboratory, elastic scattering of neutrons with hydrogen is typically studied using a technique called neutron diffraction. This involves directing a beam of neutrons at a sample and measuring the scattered neutrons to determine the arrangement of atoms in the material. Other techniques, such as small-angle neutron scattering and neutron reflectometry, can also be used to study elastic scattering with hydrogen in different applications.