Electric and Magnetic field of an electron.

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving finding the magnetic field. He has difficulty understanding why his amperian loop is incorrect and is still unsure of where his logic might be wrong.
Bhumble

Homework Statement

Picture the electron as a uniformly charged spherical shell, with charge e and radius R, spinning at angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex].

(a) Calculate the total energy contained in the electromagnetic fields.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint \vec{B} \bullet d\vec{l} = \mu_0 I_{enc} + \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \int \frac{d\vec{E}}{dt} \bullet d\vec{a}[/tex]

[tex]U_{em} = \frac{1}{2} \int \epsilon_0 E^{2} + \frac{1}{\mu_0} B^{2} d\tau [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the solution should just be a matter of plugging into the second equation. My dilemma is actually in finding the fields.
E(r<R) = 0 by symmetry,
[tex]E(r>R) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{e}{r^{2}} \hat{r} [/tex]
Per the maxwell amperian loop I get B(r<R) = 0 but this is apparently incorrect and I don't understand why.
And B(r>R) = dE/dt (4pi r^2)/(2pi r).

My problems seem to be with determining the magnetic field. Does anyone see what I'm missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
at first glance:

So the solution should just be a matter of plugging into the second equation
Not exactly: the electric field, for example, is not constant everywhere so to find its size (squared) you need to integrate all the space it reaches.

Per the maxwell amperian loop I get B(r<R) = 0 but this is apparently incorrect and I don't understand why.
I don't think there is an easy amperian loop here, you don't have the right symmetry.
can you show me your loop?

To find the magnetic field you probably need to integrate all the surface and use, for example, Biot-Savart. (by symmetry the magnetic filed will be in the direction of the spin axis)

P.S. I think your electric field are correct.

may be helpful: www.demul.net/frits/images/ppt/B-field_homog_sphere.ppt[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
So I found an example problem in the book that flat out gave the inner magnetic field and gave the auxiliary field for the outside so I took curl to get the magnetic field outside.
The part that confuses me (possibly because I haven't taken an amperian loop since we recently changed ampere's law with maxwell's correction) is that you could take an amperian loop anywhere to account for the magnetic field.
So I imagined the sphere as a series of rings each with a current flow and I took a square amperian loop through the center of the shell and closing outside of the shell. So the current enclosed should be the sum of the current through each ring. And like you were saying should be in the direction of the spin axis by the right hand rule. Then the only way that I could think to differentiate the inner and outer is by taking the boundary that an amperian loop inside the shell would have no current and since E = 0 then the total magnetic field should be 0. I'm still not sure where my logic is incorrect.

FAQ: Electric and Magnetic field of an electron.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a type of force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle, such as an electron. It exerts a force on other charged particles within its range, causing them to either attract or repel each other.

2. How does an electron create an electric field?

When an electron moves, it creates a disturbance in the electric field, causing it to propagate outward in all directions. The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the electron increases.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is produced by moving electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and can exert a force on other charged particles within its range.

4. How is a magnetic field related to an electric field of an electron?

The electric and magnetic fields of an electron are closely related and intertwined. When an electron moves, it creates both an electric field and a magnetic field. The strength and direction of these fields are dependent on the motion of the electron.

5. How are the electric and magnetic fields of an electron used in practical applications?

The electric and magnetic fields of an electron are used in a wide range of applications, such as in electronic devices like computers and smartphones, in medical imaging technology like MRI machines, and in generating and transmitting electricity. They are also essential for understanding and manipulating the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and for studying the properties of matter in fields like quantum mechanics.

Back