1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric charge and elctric filed

1. May 18, 2003 #1

Dx

Hiya!
    Whoa!
    vectors, i hate those stinkinh vectors! :wink:
    Anyways, I have theis problem and dont know how to solve for it.

A piece of plastic has a net charge of +2.00 microC. How many more protons then eclectrons does this piece of plastic have?

Now i know plastic is a insulator which guessing i would say its smaller than the net charge but i saw this formula for F_net = F_1 +_ F_2 assuming this is for electrostatic Force perhaps, i donno.

How do i solve for this, plz? Whats the formula i use?
    whats the answer? Just kidding!

Thanks!
    Dx :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2003 #2
    You don't need vectors here. Nor you need to know that plastic is insulator. The only thing you need is a charge of single proton and of single electron. Can you fetch that?

4. May 19, 2003 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Charge on electron(and proton too) is 1.6*10-19 C

So from there you just do factor label.

The 2*10-6 C you were given is the net charge of all the extra protons. (well, not extra protons, just lacking electrons..but u get the picture) From there, just divide that number by the charge of a single proton and you will get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?