Troubleshooting a Wrong Answer with Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the net force between multiple charges using Coulomb's Law. The speaker initially uses the Pythagorean theorem and then Coulomb's Law but gets a wrong answer. Another person points out that the forces are vectors and suggests considering a reference frame. The original speaker realizes their mistake and asks for further help.
sophzilla
Hello -

I worked out this problem but I got a wrong answer.

16m0wgi.jpg

First, I used the Pythagorean theorem to find the radial distance between A and each charges. So 1.2m divided by 2 (= 0.6), then the square root of .6 squared + .6 squared = .849, which is the radius.

Then I used Coulomb's Law to calculate the net force:

kqAq1/R2 + kqAq2/R2 + ... and so forth.

I took out the kqA/R2, which is the same for all, and came up with:

kqA/R2 (q1 + q2 + q3 + q4).

But it so happens that the numbers inside the parenthesis turns out to be 0.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're forgetting the vector nature of force. Simply adding up the numbers won't do any good. You have to add them vectorially.

First your pythagorean theorem is a bit off. it should be:

[tex] a^2=b^2+c^2 [/tex]

EDIT: You got it right I misinterpreted what you had done originally.

Then you have neglected to take any directions when working out the force so try setting up a reference freame and adding the directions into your equation.

Hello sophzilla,

I think you don't take into account that the forces are vectors.

You can start applying Coulomb's law for one diagonal at a time. For instance [tex]Q_4, q, Q_2[/tex]. Do you agree that the 2 forces will add up to a net force pointing from [tex]q[/tex] towards [tex]Q_2[/tex]?

Regards,

nazzard

16m7uk6.jpg

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Those are not vectors. That is why it is not working. Consider the unit vectors i and j and how they would add up to pointin the directions you require to the charges from the centre. The magnitudes are then as you have calculated.

1. How do I know if my answer is wrong when using Coulomb's Law?

If you are not sure if your answer is correct, one way to check is by comparing it to the expected value. This can be found by plugging in the given values into the Coulomb's Law equation and solving for the answer. If your answer is significantly different from the expected value, it may be wrong.

2. What are some common mistakes when using Coulomb's Law?

Some common mistakes when using Coulomb's Law include using the wrong values for the charges or distance, forgetting to include the units, or incorrectly applying the equation. It is important to double check all values and units and to make sure the equation is being used correctly.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between multiple charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between multiple charges. The equation can be applied separately for each pair of charges and then the forces can be added together to find the total force.

4. What should I do if my answer is not close to the expected value when using Coulomb's Law?

If your answer is not close to the expected value, it is important to recheck all of your calculations and make sure the correct values and units are being used. If everything appears to be correct, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve each part separately.

5. Are there any tips for troubleshooting a wrong answer with Coulomb's Law?

Some tips for troubleshooting a wrong answer with Coulomb's Law include double checking all values and units, making sure the equation is being used correctly, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and seeking help from a teacher or peer if needed.