Electric circuits and diff.eq

In summary, the problem is asking to determine the electric tension E applied to the heart in a pacemaker circuit consisting of an electric battery, a small capacitor, and the heart as a resistance. The capacitor charges when the commuter S is connected to P and discharges when connected to Q, sending an electric shock to the heart. The equation for E during this time is given and the resistance and capacitance are both constant. The question is whether it is a first order linear equation, if it is homogenous, and what the initial voltage Eo would be. Further clarification may be needed for the problem since it was translated from Spanish. Advice on how to start is also requested.
itzela
Hi Guys... I'm trying to learn diff.eq on my own and I'm stuck on a problem and I don't even know where or how to begin:

the problem is: the pacemaker shown in the figure (first attatchment) is made up of an electric battery, a small capacitor, and the heart which functions like a resistence in the circuit. When the commuter S connects to P the capacitor charges, when S is connected to Q the capacitor discharges sending an electric shock to the heart. During this time the electric tension E applied to the heart is given by: (second attatchment).

The resistance and the capacitance are both constant...
what is:
E(t)= ? E(t1) = Eo

Would it be a first order linear equation?
Is it homogenous?
What would be the value of the initial voltage?

- i translated it directly from spanish so if further clarifying of the problem is needed please let me know.

Attachments

• prob-cont.JPG
    prob-cont.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 377
  • prob-cont2.JPG
    prob-cont2.JPG
    1.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
any advice on how to start?

Hello,

I can help you with your problem. Diff.eq, or differential equations, is a mathematical tool used to describe physical systems and phenomena. In this case, we are dealing with an electric circuit involving a pacemaker and a heart.

To begin solving this problem, we need to understand the components of the circuit. The electric battery provides a constant voltage, which we can call Eo. The small capacitor has a constant capacitance, C, and the heart acts as a resistance, R.

When the commuter S is connected to P, the capacitor charges up to the voltage of the battery, Eo. When S is then connected to Q, the capacitor discharges, sending an electric shock to the heart. This discharge causes a change in the electric tension applied to the heart, which we can denote as E(t).

Based on the information given, we can write the following equation:

E(t) = Eo * (1 - e^(-t/RC))

This is a first-order linear differential equation, as it involves the first derivative of E(t). It is also homogeneous, as the equation only contains E(t) and its derivatives.

To find the initial voltage, E(t1), we need to know the time, t1, when the commuter S is connected to Q. This will depend on the specific settings of the pacemaker and the heart's response time. Once we know t1, we can plug it into the equation above to find E(t1).

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you need further clarification or assistance, please let me know. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path through which electric current can flow. It consists of a source of electricity, such as a battery or power outlet, connected to various components, such as resistors and capacitors, through wires. The flow of electric current is controlled by the properties and arrangement of these components.

2. What are the key components of an electric circuit?

The key components of an electric circuit are a source of electricity, such as a battery or power outlet, conductors, which carry the electric current, and load elements, such as resistors and capacitors, which use the electric current to perform a specific function. Switches and transformers may also be included in a circuit for controlling or modifying the flow of electricity.

3. What is a differential equation in the context of electric circuits?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between the changing values of electric variables, such as voltage and current, in an electric circuit. It helps us to understand and predict the behavior of electric circuits and can be used to design and optimize circuit components.

4. How are differential equations used in analyzing electric circuits?

Differential equations are used in analyzing electric circuits by describing the relationships between the changing values of electric variables, such as voltage and current, in a circuit. By solving these equations, we can determine the behavior of the circuit and how it responds to different inputs. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.

5. What is the role of differential equations in electrical engineering?

Differential equations play a crucial role in electrical engineering by providing a mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits. They are used in designing and optimizing circuit components, as well as in the development of electrical systems and devices. They also help in predicting the performance of circuits under different conditions and in troubleshooting any issues that may arise.