Electric current flowing through a resistor

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a voltage of 10.4 V and resistances of 3.00 Ohm each. The equivalent resistance of the circuit is found to be 8 Ohm and the current flowing through it is 1.3 A. To find the current flowing through a single resistor (in this case, R2), the current through the equivalent resistance is divided by 3, as R2 is in parallel with two other resistors (R3 and R5) with a combined resistance of 6 Ohm. This results in a current of 1.73 A flowing through R2. The theory behind this is that the current in a circuit is divided among resistors in proportion to their
PhysicsUnderg

Homework Statement

Consider the electric circuit shown in the figure. Assume that V = 10.4 V, R1 = R2 = R3 = R4 = R5 = 3.00 Ohm. What is the electric current flowing through resistor R2? I couldn't upload the figure, but you can find it on my cramster.com post:
http://www.cramster.com/answers-jul-10/physics/electric-current-flowing-throu-understand-determine-current-individua_883937.aspx"

2. The attempt at a solution

I can get as far as determining the equivalent resistance, but I am stuck as to how to use this to find the current flowing through a single resistor (in this case, R2). I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the "how" and "why" behind finding the answer. Any help is appreciated! :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly you need the total current flowing in the circuit, so you need the combination of R2,R3,R5
Then you need the relative proportion flowing through R2 and the R3&R5 branch

Ok, so I have found the equivalent resistance to be 8ohm, and the current across the equivalent resistance to be I=V/R=10.4/8=1.3 A. But, I am stuck as to what to do next. I don't know why, but I feel weak as to the theory behind individual resistors and current, voltage, etc across them. :-(

Remember the current through R2 is the same as through R5 - so all you are looking for is the current in the R2,R5 branch, which is just the ratio of the resistance in the two branches.

Ok, so R2 and R5 are in series, so their equivalent resistance is 3ohm+3ohm=6 ohm. So, does that mean the current flowing through these 2 resistors is I=V/R, or I=10.4/6=1.73 A? And because they are in series and because it is the same current through both, that means the current through R2 is 1.73A, right? I am not sure I am fully understanding...

Since all the same resistors are the same then the resistance of R2+5 is twice R3 so there is twice as much current through R3 as R2 (or R5)
If you need the exact current you just need to work out the equivalent resistance of the two branches - so you the resistance between the two dots. This gives you the resistance between the dots and so the total current through the two branches.
Then you know that 1 third goes through the 2R branch and 2/3 through the single R

Ok, I don't mean to be a pain... but how do I work out the equivalent resistance between the two dots (i.e. within the two loops)? If you could explain with a little more detail, I would appreciate it. I don't expect the answer to the problem, just a more direct explanation of how to find the path to the answer. Thank you for your help so far :-)

ok, let's call he resistance of each resistor 'R'
The resistance between the two point is R and 2R in parallel (the two branches)
So the total is = R*2R / (R+2R) = 2 R^2 /3R = R2/3

This is then in series with R1 and R4 so the total resistance is R+R+R2/3 = 8R/3
So the current I = V/R = V / 8R/3 = 3/8 V/R

The current in R1 and R4 must be the same and the same as the current flowing between the two points.
The current between these points is in the ratio of the resistances, so twice as much goes through R3 as through R2 and R5.

So current in R2 is 1/3 of the current we just found = 1/3 * 3/8 V/R

ok, thank you! :-)

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I". Electric current can be either direct current (DC), which flows in one direction, or alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction.

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is designed to have a specific amount of resistance, measured in ohms (Ω), which can be used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. Resistors are commonly used to protect other components in a circuit from being damaged by excessive current.

3. How does electric current flow through a resistor?

When an electric current passes through a resistor, the resistance in the material causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat. This heat dissipates into the surrounding environment, resulting in a decrease in the current's strength. The rate at which this energy is dissipated is determined by the resistance of the resistor and the amount of current passing through it.

4. What factors affect the flow of electric current through a resistor?

The flow of electric current through a resistor is affected by several factors, including the resistance of the material, the voltage applied to the circuit, and the temperature of the resistor. A higher resistance or voltage will result in a lower current, while a higher temperature can increase the resistance and decrease the current.

5. What are some practical applications of electric current flowing through a resistor?

Resistors have a wide range of practical applications, including controlling the brightness of lights, regulating the speed of motors, and reducing the voltage in electronic devices. They are also used in electronic filters, voltage dividers, and many other circuits to control the flow of current and protect other components from damage.