Electric Dipole in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the problem involves an electric dipole in a uniform horizontal electric field, where the dipole is slightly displaced from its equilibrium position with a small angle theta. The dipole has a separation of 2a and each particle has a mass of m. The task is to show that the angular orientation of the dipole exhibits simple harmonic motion with a frequency of f=1/(2*pi)*sqrt(q*E/(m*a)). To do this, the restoring torque as a function of theta must be found.
affordable

Homework Statement

An electric dipole in a uniform horizontal electric field is displaced slightly from its equilibrium position, where theta is small. The separation of the charges is 2a, and each of the two particles has mass m. Assuming the dipole is released from this position, show that its angular orientation exhibits simple harmonic motion with a frequency

f=1/(2*pi)*sqrt(q*E/(m*a))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem that I'm having is that I don't know how to start it. I know that I need to get it to a formula that looks like Hooke's law to show that it's simple harmonic and get k=qE/a, but how would I start the problem. I don't really want a solution, but a small push would be nice.

So far, I said that E=k*q^2/(4a^2) for the external field as it was in equilibrium when theta equals 0, but how would I incorporate theta when it's changed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
affordable said:
So far, I said that E=k*q^2/(4a^2) for the external field as it was in equilibrium when theta equals 0
No, the external field is given as E. (It's in equilibrium when theta = 0 since the torque is zero at that point.)

Hint: Find the restoring torque as a function of theta.

Related to Electric Dipole in Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is an electric dipole in simple harmonic motion?

An electric dipole in simple harmonic motion refers to the oscillatory motion of an electric dipole in an external electric field. The electric dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance, and its motion is characterized by a periodic change in the direction of the dipole moment.

2. What causes an electric dipole to undergo simple harmonic motion?

An electric dipole undergoes simple harmonic motion when it experiences a restoring torque, which is provided by an external electric field. As the dipole rotates, it experiences a force that always points towards the equilibrium position, resulting in oscillatory motion.

3. How is the period of an electric dipole in simple harmonic motion determined?

The period of an electric dipole in simple harmonic motion is determined by the strength of the external electric field and the moment of inertia of the dipole. The larger the external field and the smaller the moment of inertia, the shorter the period of oscillation.

4. Can the amplitude of an electric dipole's motion be changed?

Yes, the amplitude of an electric dipole's motion can be changed by altering the strength of the external electric field. A stronger field will result in a larger amplitude, while a weaker field will result in a smaller amplitude.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric dipoles in simple harmonic motion?

Electric dipoles in simple harmonic motion have various applications in physics and engineering. They are used in devices such as accelerometers and seismometers to measure vibrations and in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. They are also used in research to study the behavior of molecules and atoms in an electric field.