Electric dipole moment question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field "E" at point "P" in an electric dipole moment where both charges are assumed to be positive and the distance "X" from the center of the dipole is much larger than the distance "d" between the two charges. The speaker expresses confusion and asks for help, while also mentioning that the assumption of positive charges may not be accurate.
DIMSKK
1. In an electric dipole moment, assume that both charges are positive and find the electric field "E" at point "P", assuming X>>d, where "d" is the distance between the two charges and "X" is the distance of point "P" from the center of the dipole.

I have thought a lot about it but I am very much confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
DIMSKK

Physics news on Phys.org
DIMSKK said:
1. In an electric dipole moment, assume that both charges are positive and find the electric field "E" at point "P", assuming X>>d, where "d" is the distance between the two charges and "X" is the distance of point "P" from the center of the dipole.

I have thought a lot about it but I am very much confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
DIMSKK
Okay, well let's start with the definition of an electric dipole - what is it?

Hootenanny said:
Okay, well let's start with the definition of an electric dipole - what is it?

"a pair of equal and opposite electric charges or magnetic poles separated by a small distance".

I was also thinking that we cannot assume that both charges are positive, but my teacher gave me this question as an assignment. I thought that may be there is a solution for this. So confused!

What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or system. It is a vector quantity that indicates the direction and magnitude of the charge separation.

How is electric dipole moment measured?

Electric dipole moment is typically measured in units of Coulomb-meters (C·m) or Debye (D). It can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electric field measurements or spectroscopy.

What factors affect the magnitude of an electric dipole moment?

The magnitude of an electric dipole moment is affected by the distance between the positive and negative charges, as well as the magnitude of the charges themselves. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the molecule or system can also impact the dipole moment.

What is the significance of an electric dipole moment in chemistry?

Electric dipole moments play a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of molecules and systems in chemistry. They can influence intermolecular interactions, polarity, and reactivity of molecules.

Can an electric dipole moment be zero?

Yes, an electric dipole moment can be zero if the positive and negative charges within a molecule or system are evenly distributed or if the molecule has a symmetrical shape. In these cases, the vector sum of the dipole moment will be equal to zero.