Electric Field and Electric Potential

In summary, for a sphere with a positive charge Q uniformly distributed on its surface, the magnitude of the electric field E is 0 and the potential V is kQ/R for r < R, and the magnitude of the electric field E is kQ/(r^2) and the potential V is kQ/r for r > R. There was some discussion about the correct answers, with some proposing B and D and others proposing C and D, but it was ultimately determined that the correct answers are B and D.
Dorney
[SOLVED] Electric Field and Electric Potential

1. Refer to a sphere of radius R that has a positive charge Q uniformly distributed on its surface.

Which of the fllowing represents the magnitude of the electric field E and the potential V as functions of r, the distance from the center of the sphere, where r < R?

A) E = 0 and V = kQ/R
B) E = 0 and V = kQ/r
C) E = 0 and V = 0
D) E = kQ/(r^2) and V = 0
E) E = kQ/(R^2) and V = 0

Which of the following represents the magnitude of the electirc field E and the potential V as functions of r, the distance from the center of the sphere, where r > R?

A) E = kQ/(R^2) and V = kQ/R
B) E = kQ/R and V = kQ/R
C) E = kQ/R and V = kQ/r
D) E = kQ/(r^2) and V = kQ/r
E) E = kQ/(r^2) and V = kQ/(r^2)

2. E = kq/(r^2) and V = kq/r

3. Thinking it through, I got the answers B and D, respectively.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
nm i got it.

Is the answer actually B and D?

I'm thinking it might be C and D. Potential is the integration of the electric field dotted with dr. If E is zero, how can there be any potential? Am I wrong?

FAQ: Electric Field and Electric Potential

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This unit is also known as volts per meter (V/m). The higher the value, the stronger the electric field.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V).

4. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is directly proportional to the electric potential. As the electric potential increases, so does the electric potential energy.

5. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in that field. Positive charges will move towards regions of lower potential, while negative charges will move towards regions of higher potential.

Back