Electric field and electric potential

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions with accompanying images. The first question involves the concept of electric potential and the correct answer is determined to be C. The second question also involves electric potential and the correct answer is agreed upon to be D. The conversation also includes a correction to the formatting of a vector.
delsoo
Physics news on Phys.org
For first question:
E = -grad V = -∂V/∂x i
where i is unit vector in direction of P→Q.

So now do you think C is correct? Why or why not?

For second question : I agree with you!

Likes 1 person
For second question: I agree with you guys too!

rude man said:
For first question:
E = -grad V = -∂V/∂x i
where i is unit vector in direction of P→Q.

So now do you think C is correct? Why or why not?

For second question : I agree with you!

E, being a vector, I should have written in bold, and is hereby so corrected.

@delsoo: how did you get on with this in the end?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is defined as the force per unit charge at a given point in space.

2. How is electric field different from electric potential?

Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle at a given point in space. In other words, electric field tells us the direction and magnitude of the force, while electric potential tells us the potential energy associated with that force.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field at a point is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential at that point. In other words, the electric field is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to position.

4. How are electric field and electric potential related to each other in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, the electric field is constant and has the same magnitude and direction at all points. The electric potential, on the other hand, decreases linearly with distance from the source of the field. This means that the electric potential is proportional to the distance from the source, while the electric field remains constant.

5. How are electric field and electric potential measured?

Electric field is measured in units of force per unit charge, such as newtons per coulomb. Electric potential is measured in units of energy per unit charge, such as volts. Both quantities can be measured using specialized instruments, such as an electric field meter or a voltmeter.