Electric field and work done

In summary, the question is asking for the electric potential at point X, where a charge of 3C is moved from infinity and the work done is 15 J. The answer options are the different values of electric potential, with option D being the correct answer of 5V. The equation used to solve this question is V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and Q is the charge. It is important to carefully read and analyze the question before choosing an appropriate equation to use.
jinx007
A charge of 3C is moved from infinity to a point X in an electric field. The work done in this process is 15 J. T electric potential energy at X is

A 45 V

B 22.5 V

C 15 V

D 5 V

E 0.2 V

ANSWER: D

Please,help me to answer the question this question i am confuse about the equation.

should i use electric potential = Q/4 (Pie) X r^2
And which equation is related to which..i am confused..!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer options seem to just be the 'electric potential' and not 'electric potential energy'.

The question specifies, charge,q and work done,W(or energy) and is asking you for the potential,V at that point
Have you come across expressions relating q,V and W?

graphene said:
The answer options seem to just be the 'electric potential' and not 'electric potential energy'.

The question specifies, charge,q and work done,W(or energy) and is asking you for the potential,V at that point
Have you come across expressions relating q,V and W?

Yeahhh v=w/Q 15/3 5V

lolzz seem easy..but what intricate me is that when to use the equation q Q k /r^2 and the other equation..

jinx007 said:
Yeahhh v=w/Q 15/3 5V

lolzz seem easy..but what intricate me is that when to use the equation q Q k /r^2 and the other equation..

well i have a suggestion for you. first, read the question carefully and note down all the bits of information. like in the above case: work done and charge. then think of an equation relating the information and the question. this will help a lot.

First of all, as a scientist, it is important to clarify the question and provide the necessary information for a clear and accurate response. The question is asking for the electric potential energy at point X, but the given information does not include the distance or radius from the charge at infinity to point X. Therefore, it is not possible to calculate the electric potential energy using the equation provided (electric potential = Q/4πε0r).

To answer the question, we need to understand the relationship between electric potential energy and work done. Electric potential energy is the energy a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field, while work done is the energy required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field.

The formula for work done in an electric field is W = qΔV, where q is the charge and ΔV is the change in electric potential. In this case, we are given the work done (W = 15 J) and the charge (q = 3 C), so we can rearrange the formula to find the change in electric potential (ΔV = W/q).

Substituting the values, we get ΔV = 15 J / 3 C = 5 V. This means that the electric potential at point X is 5 V higher than at infinity. Therefore, the correct answer is option D, 5 V.

In summary, to answer this question, we need to understand the relationship between electric potential energy and work done, and use the formula W = qΔV to find the change in electric potential. It is important to provide all necessary information and use the correct equations to arrive at an accurate answer.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged object experiences a force. It is created by a charged particle and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is obtained by dividing the force experienced by a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and work done?

The work done by an electric field on a charged particle is equal to the product of the electric field strength and the displacement of the particle in the direction of the field. This can be expressed as W = qEd, where W is the work done, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field strength, and d is the displacement.

4. Can work be done on a charged particle in a uniform electric field?

Yes, work can be done on a charged particle in a uniform electric field. This is because the electric field exerts a force on the particle, causing it to move and therefore work is being done on it.

5. How does the direction of the electric field affect the work done on a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field does not affect the work done on a charged particle. The work done is only dependent on the magnitude of the electric field and the displacement of the particle in the direction of the field.