Electric Field at Center of Square.

In summary: In this problem, you'll find that the vertical components sum to exactly zero.)3) Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the size of the vector that has the horizontal and vertical components you found in the previous step. This is the answer.In summary, the electric field at the center of the square can be calculated by breaking down the four given charges into their horizontal and vertical components, summing the horizontal and vertical components separately, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting vector. This will give the net electric field at the center of the square.
Rome_Leader

Homework Statement

Calculate the electric field at the center of a square with side length .360 m. The charges, clockwise from top left on the corners, are Q1 = 4 x 10^-6, Q2 = 3 x 10^-6, Q3 = 1 X 10^-6 and Q4 = 5 x 10^-6 Coulombs.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2 where k = Coloumb's constant, q = charge and r = distance between two points

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this problem. I've tried multiple guesses, all wrong, and I'm at what I assume is essentially the penultimate step, but must be missing an understanding.

Using Pythagorean Theorem to get the diagonal of the square, and dividing that by 2, I calculated the distance from each charge to the center to be .2545. I worked out the effect each charge has on the center as follows:

EQ1 = 5.55 x 10^5 N/C
EQ2 = 4.16 x 10^5 N/C
EQ3 = 1.39 x 10^5 N/C
EQ4 = 6.94 x 10^5 N/C

Here is where I'm having trouble. I know electric field is a vector, and as such, I must sum the above vectors to get the net field at the center. But no matter what way I add them, it turns out to be wrong. I've tried considering opposite corners to have opposite directions and subtracting them, simply adding them all up, and various other methods. Nothing works.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I can finish this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rome_Leader said:
Here is where I'm having trouble. I know electric field is a vector, and as such, I must sum the above vectors to get the net field at the center. But no matter what way I add them, it turns out to be wrong. I've tried considering opposite corners to have opposite directions and subtracting them, simply adding them all up, and various other methods. Nothing works.

You will get the right answer if you add the vectors correctly. You're on the right track when you consider that the opposite corners have opposite directions, but you also have to consider that the two diagonals of the square are crosswise (neither same direction nor opposite) to each other, so their sizes can't be added directly.

The general technique for adding four vectors pointing in various directions (this is the general technique; there are shortcuts that you could use in this problem to simplify the calculation, but you have to understand the general technique before you can see the shortcuts) is:

1) Write each of your four vectors as the sum of a vector in the horizontal direction and a vector in the vertical direction. Be careful to get the signs right; for example a vector pointing up and to the left is negative in the horizontal direction and positive in the vertical direction.
2) The horizontal component of the sum is the sum of the horizontal components of the four vectors you're adding. Likewise, the vertical component of the sum is the sum of the vertical components of the vectors you're adding.

Related to Electric Field at Center of Square.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square?

The formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square is E = (kQ)/a², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm²/C²), Q is the charge of the square, and a is the length of one side of the square.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric field at the center of a square?

The direction of the electric field at the center of a square can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Place your right hand on the plane of the square with your thumb pointing towards the center. Your fingers will curl in the direction of the electric field.

3. Does the electric field at the center of a square depend on the size of the square?

Yes, the electric field at the center of a square is directly proportional to the size of the square. This means that as the length of one side of the square increases, the electric field at the center also increases.

4. What is the difference between the electric field at the center of a square and the electric field at the center of a circle?

The main difference between the electric field at the center of a square and the electric field at the center of a circle is the shape of the field lines. The electric field at the center of a square has four field lines, while the electric field at the center of a circle has infinitely many field lines.

5. How does the presence of other charges affect the electric field at the center of a square?

The presence of other charges can affect the electric field at the center of a square. If there are other charges located near the square, their electric fields can either reinforce or cancel out the electric field at the center of the square, depending on their direction and magnitude.