Electric field at the centre of a ball

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at the centre of a ball with a given volume charge density. The individual has used different methods to solve the problem, but has encountered discrepancies due to the varying nature of the unit vectors. They mention using the Maxwell equation in differential form or the Laplace equation to potentially find a solution without converting to a coordinate system with constant unit vectors.
Nitin Gupta
Question : Find the electric field at the centre of a ball of radius R with volume charge density rho = a.r, where a is a constant vector and r is a radius vector drawn from ball's centre.

Relevant Equations and attempt at solution : I used the basic formula for electric field due to continuous volume charge density and arrived at an equation which I tried to solve two different ways as shown in image. I am getting different solutions by trying different methods which is not possible.
I have tried to think of a reason for this and my reasoning for this anomaly has been shown in the image.
Please help me in figuring out where my approach went wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20160628_234944_1467138002625.jpg
    IMG_20160628_234944_1467138002625.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
When theta varies, ##\hat r## varies, no?

Likes Nitin Gupta
haruspex said:
When theta varies, ##\hat r## varies, no?

Oho.. And since r hat is varying I can't take it as a constant under integration.. That's why we convert the spherical system to cartesian one.. Where the unit vectors are independent of the angles.. And that was the point of this exercise.. To teach us to consider the constancy of unit vectors when doing problems...

Is there any other way this could be done without resorting to cartesian coordinate system (or, for that matter, any system where the unit vectors are independent of angles)..such that I integrate using r hat itself..??

did you try the Maxwell equation in differential form?
div E=rho/e
you used intergral form.
Or use Laplace equation to find voltage then use E=-gradV

Last edited:
Likes Nitin Gupta
Hamal_Arietis said:
did you try the Maxwell equation in differential form?
div E=rho/e
you used intergral form.
Or use Laplace equation to find voltage then use E=-gradV
Yeah... Actually I wanted to figure it out this way

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at the centre of a ball?

The formula for calculating the electric field at the centre of a ball is E = kQ/R^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ball, and R is the radius of the ball.

2. How does the electric field at the centre of a ball change with the radius of the ball?

The electric field at the centre of a ball is inversely proportional to the square of the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

3. Does the material of the ball affect the electric field at its centre?

No, the electric field at the centre of a ball does not depend on the material of the ball. It only depends on the charge and the radius of the ball.

4. Can the electric field at the centre of a ball be negative?

Yes, the electric field at the centre of a ball can be negative if the charge of the ball is negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is towards the centre of the ball.

5. How does the electric field at the centre of a ball compare to the electric field at other points inside the ball?

The electric field at the centre of a ball is the same as the electric field at any other point inside the ball. This is because the electric field inside a uniformly charged ball is constant and spherically symmetric.