Electric field at the centre of a ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Nitin Gupta
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Question : Find the electric field at the centre of a ball of radius R with volume charge density rho = a.r, where a is a constant vector and r is a radius vector drawn from ball's centre.

Relevant Equations and attempt at solution : I used the basic formula for electric field due to continuous volume charge density and arrived at an equation which I tried to solve two different ways as shown in image. I am getting different solutions by trying different methods which is not possible.
I have tried to think of a reason for this and my reasoning for this anomaly has been shown in the image.
Please help me in figuring out where my approach went wrong.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20160628_234944_1467138002625.jpg
    IMG_20160628_234944_1467138002625.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
When theta varies, ##\hat r## varies, no?

Oho.. And since r hat is varying I can't take it as a constant under integration.. That's why we convert the spherical system to cartesian one.. Where the unit vectors are independent of the angles.. And that was the point of this exercise.. To teach us to consider the constancy of unit vectors when doing problems...

Is there any other way this could be done without resorting to cartesian coordinate system (or, for that matter, any system where the unit vectors are independent of angles)..such that I integrate using r hat itself..??
 
did you try the Maxwell equation in differential form?
div E=rho/e
you used intergral form.
Or use Laplace equation to find voltage then use E=-gradV
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Nitin Gupta
Hamal_Arietis said:
did you try the Maxwell equation in differential form?
div E=rho/e
you used intergral form.
Or use Laplace equation to find voltage then use E=-gradV
Yeah... Actually I wanted to figure it out this way