1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field derivation question

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    Hey, if someone can show me the solution to this I'd be very thankful. Here's the question:

An infinitely long sheet of charge has width L and surface charge density n. The sheet lies in the xy-plane between x=-L/2 and x=+L/2

a) Derive an expression for the electric field E along the x-axis for a point outside the sheet a distance d away from the edge of the sheet (the distance from the origin to the point is x=d+L/2)
    Hint: How does n relate to the linear charge density, lambda, of a narrow strip of the sheet?

b) Derive an expression for the electric field E at a point on the z-axis a distance z=a above the center of the plane.

By the way, I basically have no starting work of mine to show, I'm really quite stumped by this problem. It was actually a question on our test that almost everyone in the class missed, so the professor is allowing us to turn in a solution for a few more points added to our test score. I don't even really understand if the shape described is basically a line... or what...
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted