How Does Electric Field Direction Affect Electron Path in Parallel Plate Setup?

In summary: PFStudentIn summary, we have an electron accelerated through a potential difference {V}_{1} into the gap between two parallel plates with a separation of d = 20.0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}mm and potential difference {V}_{2} = 100{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}V. In order to travel in a straight line, the electron needs to experience a uniform magnetic field, which can be determined using unit-vector notation. The direction of the electric field can be determined by the potential difference between the two plates, as well as the direction of integration from r_0
PFStudent

Homework Statement

7. In Fig. 28-35, an electron accelerated from rest through potential difference [tex]{V}_{1} = 1.00{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}kV[/tex] enters the gap between two parallel plates having separation [tex]d = 20.0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}mm[/tex] and potential difference [tex]{V}_{2} = 100{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}V[/tex]. The lower plate is at the lower potential. Neglect fringing and assume that the electron’s velocity vector is perpendicular to the electric field vector between the plates. In unit-vector notation, what uniform magnetic field allows the electron to travel in a straight line in the gap.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4953/platepicgl6.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]
{\vec{E}}_{p1} = {\frac{\vec{F}_{21}}{q_{2}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{p}} = {-}{\int_{r_{0}}^{r_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(r)}{\cdot}{d{\vec{r}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\vec{F}_{B}} = q{\vec{v}}{\times}{\vec{B}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this problem does not seem that hard, however the wording isn’t really clear. So let me see if I understand this problem, you have an electron being accelerated by [tex]{V}_{1}[/tex] into an electric field produced by two plates. Where the bottom plate has potential [tex]{V}_{2}[/tex].

Ok, so my question is if the bottom plate has potential [tex]{V}_{2}[/tex], does the top plate have a potential?

Also, what about the electric field between the two plates how can you tell in what direction the electric field points in?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

So, I was looking at this problem again and I am still not all that sure about how you can tell which way the electric field points? How is that you determine that in this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

The electric field points from higher to lower potential, which can be seen from this equation of yours (that's the meaning of the minus sign):
PFStudent said:
[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{p}} = {-}{\int_{r_{0}}^{r_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(r)}{\cdot}{d{\vec{r}}}
[/tex]

Hey,

I was looking at this problem again and had a quick question. When finding the potential difference,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{p}} = {-}{\int_{r_{0}}^{r_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(r)}{\cdot}{d{ \vec{r}}}[/tex]

Do you always integrate from the lower potential to the higher potential? In other words when finding the Electric field would I integrate from,

[tex]
{r_{0}} = {-{\frac{d}{2}}}
[/tex]

to

[tex]
{r_{1}} = {+{\frac{d}{2}}}
[/tex]

So, that the integral would look like the following,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{2}} = {-}{\int_{{-{\frac{d}{2}}}}^{{{\frac{d}{2}}}}}{|{\vec{E}}_{}(r)|}{}{|d{{\vec{r}}}|}{cos\theta}
[/tex]

Where, [tex]{\theta} = {180}^{o}[/tex], since [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] points downward (from the higher potential to the lower potential) and [itex]d{\vec{r}}[/itex] points upward from [itex]{r_{0}}[/itex] to [itex]{r_{1}}[/itex].

Is that right?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
PFStudent said:
When finding the potential difference,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{p}} = {-}{\int_{r_{0}}^{r_{1}}}{\vec{E}_{p1}(r)}{\cdot}{d{ \vec{r}}}[/tex]

Do you always integrate from the lower potential to the higher potential?
Note that you are always finding the potential of r_1 with respect to r_0. If you reverse the integration (integrating from r_1 to r_0) the sign changes:

[tex]\int_a^b Fdx = -\int_b^a Fdx[/tex]

So it doesn't really matter which way you integrate. What does matter is the direction of [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] compared to [itex]d\vec{r}[/itex].

Hey,

Doc Al said:
The electric field points from higher to lower potential, which can be seen from this equation of yours (that's the meaning of the minus sign):

Forgot to say thanks for the above info. That information had helped me better understand how to solve these type of problems. Thanks.

Doc Al said:
Note that you are always finding the potential of r_1 with respect to r_0. If you reverse the integration (integrating from r_1 to r_0) the sign changes:

[tex]\int_a^b Fdx = -\int_b^a Fdx[/tex]

So it doesn't really matter which way you integrate. What does matter is the direction of [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] compared to [itex]d\vec{r}[/itex].

Ah...yes I do remember that. Thanks for reminding me.

Ok, so then on the below integral,

PFStudent said:
[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{2}} = {-}{\int_{{-{\frac{d}{2}}}}^{{{\frac{d}{2}}}}}{|{\vec{E}}_{}(r)|}{}{|d{{\vec{r}}}|}{cos\theta}
[/tex]

Where, [tex]{\theta} = {180}^{o}[/tex], since [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] points downward (from the higher potential to the lower potential) and [itex]d{\vec{r}}[/itex] points upward from [itex]{r_{0}}[/itex] to [itex]{r_{1}}[/itex].

Do I have the limits correct?

Doc Al said:

Ok, so was I correct in performing the integration the way I did, Where [itex]{\theta} = {180}^{o}[/itex], since [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] points downward (from the higher potential to the lower potential) and [itex]d{\vec{r}}[/itex] points upward from [itex]{r_{0}}[/itex] to [itex]{r_{1}}[/itex]?

Also, since you mentioned that propery of integrals--I could alternatively intregrate the following way,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{2}} = {}{\int_{{{\frac{d}{2}}}}^{{{-}{\frac{d}{2}}}}}{|{\vec{E}}_{}(r)|}{}{|d{{\vec{r}}}|}{cos\theta}
[/tex]

Is the above integral correct also?

So, in the end was the below integral correct?

[tex]
[/tex]

Thanks so much for the help,

-PFStudent

PFStudent said:
Ok, so then on the below integral,
PFStudent said:
[tex]
[/tex]

Do I have the limits correct?
Yes. You are finding the potential difference of r_1 with respect to r_0.

Ok, so was I correct in performing the integration the way I did, Where [itex]{\theta} = {180}^{o}[/itex], since [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] points downward (from the higher potential to the lower potential) and [itex]d{\vec{r}}[/itex] points upward from [itex]{r_{0}}[/itex] to [itex]{r_{1}}[/itex]?
Absolutely.

Also, since you mentioned that propery of integrals--I could alternatively intregrate the following way,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}_{2}} = {}{\int_{{{\frac{d}{2}}}}^{{{-}{\frac{d}{2}}}}}{|{\vec{E}}_{}(r)|}{}{|d{{\vec{r}}}|}{cos\theta}
[/tex]

Is the above integral correct also?
Yes indeed.

So, in the end was the below integral correct?

[tex]
[/tex]
You bet.

Hey,

Thanks for the help Doc Al! :smile:

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:

What is the direction of the electric field around a point charge?

The direction of the electric field around a point charge is always radially outward from the charge if the charge is positive, and radially inward if the charge is negative. This is known as the "radial" direction.

How do you determine the direction of the electric field in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, the electric field lines are straight and parallel. The direction of the electric field is defined as the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. Therefore, in a uniform electric field, the direction of the electric field is the same as the direction of the field lines.

Can the direction of the electric field change in non-uniform electric fields?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can change in non-uniform electric fields. In these types of fields, the electric field lines are curved, and the direction of the electric field is always tangent to the field line at any given point.

How do you determine the direction of the electric field in a dipole?

In a dipole, the electric field is directed from the positive charge towards the negative charge. This is because the electric field lines always point in the direction of decreasing potential. Therefore, the direction of the electric field in a dipole is from positive to negative.

What is the direction of the electric field inside a conductor?

In an ideal conductor, the electric field inside is always zero. This is because the free electrons in the conductor will rearrange themselves to cancel out any external electric field. Therefore, the direction of the electric field inside a conductor is zero.