Electric Field Done Correctly?

In summary, the electric field at point (-1,0) is calculated by adding the electric fields of two charges located along the x-axis, (-3*10^-6)C at the origin, and (6*10^-6)C at the point (2,0). After plugging in the values and using the formula Etotal = Eq1+Eq2, the resulting field was found to be (-2.09*10^4) N/C. However, it is important to note that the direction of the field is determined by the direction of the force on a unit positive charge, making the field in this case positive. It is recommended to double check the calculations to ensure accuracy.
nyclio
Two charges located along the x-axis, (-3*10^-6)C at the origin, and (6*10^-6)C at the point (2,0)

What is the electric field at point -1,0?

i did:

Etotal = Eq1+Eq2

=(k(q1)/r^2) + (k(q2)/(2-r)^2)
=(-2.09*10^4) N/C

Can someone please double check my calculations (i did it a few different ways and i always end up with a negative answer)? I plugged this into http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/e2p.html#c1 and for some reason their answer comes out positive. Which one is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
nyclio said:
Two charges located along the x-axis, (-3*10^-6)C at the origin, and (6*10^-6)C at the point (2,0)

What is the electric field at point -1,0?

i did:

Etotal = Eq1+Eq2

=(k(q1)/r^2) + (k(q2)/(2-r)^2)
=(-2.09*10^4) N/C

Can someone please double check my calculations (i did it a few different ways and i always end up with a negative answer)?
The direction of the field is given by the direction of the force on a unit positive charge (ie. of +1C. ). [itex]\vec E = \vec F/q[/itex]. So, in this case the field is positive.

AM

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your calculations without seeing your work and knowing the specific values of the constants you used. However, I can provide some general feedback on your approach.

Firstly, it is important to note that the electric field at a point is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Therefore, it is important to include the direction in your answer, not just the magnitude.

Secondly, when calculating the electric field due to point charges, it is important to consider the direction of the electric field due to each charge separately, and then add them together using vector addition.

In this case, the first charge (q1) is located at the origin, which means the electric field at point (-1,0) will be directed towards the left. The second charge (q2) is located at (2,0), which means the electric field at point (-1,0) will be directed towards the right. Therefore, when adding the electric field due to these two charges, you should end up with a net electric field directed towards the right.

I cannot confirm the accuracy of the answer provided by the website you mentioned, but based on the information you provided, it seems like their answer may be more accurate since it is positive and directed towards the right.

In conclusion, while your approach may be correct, it is important to carefully consider the direction of the electric field and use vector addition to accurately determine the net electric field at a point. I would suggest double checking your calculations and seeking help from a teacher or instructor if needed.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where other charged objects experience a force. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the type of charge.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged object by the magnitude of the charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged object in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol V and is measured in volts (V). Electric field, on the other hand, is a measure of the force exerted on a charged object in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field decreases as distance from the charged object increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charged object.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, creating lightning, and controlling the motion of charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and in the production of solar energy through photovoltaic cells.