1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field due to a charged line; With y as function of theta

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    Well the main problem here its once a i get the integral i do not how to put dy as function of thetha and then integrate ; at the end that's what i get

Ex=integral (dE*cos[itex]\theta[/itex])=([itex]\lambda[/itex]/4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex])
    times the integral of cos([itex]\theta[/itex])dy/x^2+y^2

where i can easily find the cosine and do the integral but i'm asked to express strictly "y" as function of thetha so as cos(θ)=x/√x^2+y^2 so 1/√x^2+y^2=cos^2(θ)/x^2

and i know that y=x*tan(θ) but i dont how to get "dy" graphically nor analytically;

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not do the integral in terms of dy?

4. Feb 16, 2014 #3
    Well the professor asked us for bring both methods in terms of y as function of theta & theta as function of y;

I already did in terms of dy. making the substitution of cosine(θ) = x/√x^2+y^2 and then integrating.

but now i need the other method. y in terms of "θ"

5. Feb 17, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - so complete: $$y=x\tan\theta\\ \implies \frac{dy}{d\theta}=\cdots$$ ... then multiply both sides by ##d\theta##.

Then substitute these values for y and dy into:
    $$E_x=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\cos\theta\; dy}{x^2+y^2}$$ ... with appropriate limits.

note: I wrote all that out so you'd get an example of LaTeX, since I noticed you struggling with typing out the math there.
    To figure out how I did it - just hit the "quote" button attached to this post.
    The equations all appear between dollar or hash marks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted