Electric field due to a finite line of charge

In summary, the Electric field at a point P located at a perpendicular distance 69 cm along a line of symmetry of the rod is 9*10^9*(7*10^-6)*2.1004*(sin(pi/18)-sin(-pi/18)) N/C.
Liketothink

Homework Statement

A rod of length 25 cm has a uniform linear charge density of 7 μC/m. Determine the Electric Field at a point P located at a perpendicular distance 69 cm along a line of symmetry of the rod.

Homework Equations

E=k*charge density(integral(dx/(d^2+x^2)^3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

x=.69tan(theta)
dx=(.69)sec^2(theta)dtheata
Thus,
.125=pi/18
Hence, I have found
=(9*10^9)*(7*10^-6)*2.1004*(sin(pi/18)-sin(-pi/18))
My final answer is 45956.1 but it's wrong.

Thank you for any input at all. Also, I'm not sure what mode is my calculator suppose to be on.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of

.125 = pi/18?

If that equation is correct, then pi = 18*.125 = 2.25, not true.

To find the sine at the extreme angles, you don't need to calculate any angle. Just use the basic definition

sine = opposite/hypotenuse.

I am in a course currently studying this topic, and this is how I understand and solved the problem:

Electric field due to a continuous charge distribution:
E (as a vector) = [tex]\int[/tex]kdq / r^2 (in r vector direction)
So, dE = kdq / r^2 = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]dx / r^2

The E field has both x and y component, but if you draw the diagram as I see it, there is point p in the middle and directly above the uniformly charged line (ie along a line of symmetry). In that case, the x component will be 0 and there will just be the y.

Also, since this point is directly in the middle it cuts the charged line half, and so we let it's length (L) be L/2 until the intersection point and L/2 past the intersection point. This makes two right triangles with [tex]\Theta[/tex](1) representing the top angle for the first, and [tex]\Theta[/tex](2) representing the top angle for the second. It is difficult to explain this without a drawing...

So, we just need to find the y component of the E field:

E(y component) = dEcos[tex]\Theta[/tex] = (k[tex]\lambda[/tex]dx / r^2) (y / r) = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]ydx/r^3

You can use trig substitution to solve this integral or use some relationships in the graph to simplify it. Notice cos[tex]\Theta[/tex](2) = y / r. So, 1/r = cos[tex]\Theta[/tex](2) / y.
Also, tan[tex]\Theta[/tex] = x / y. So, x = ytan[tex]\Theta[/tex] and dx = ysec^2[tex]\Theta[/tex] d[tex]\Theta[/tex].

Plugging this stuff in we get dE(y) = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]yysec^2[tex]\Theta[/tex]d[tex]\Theta[/tex]cos^3[tex]\Theta[/tex](2) / y^3

Simplifying should get k[tex]\lambda[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]d[tex]\Theta[/tex] / y

E(y) = k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / y [tex]\int[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]d[tex]\Theta[/tex]

Solving this integral gives k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / y (sin[tex]\Theta[/tex](2) - sin[tex]\Theta[/tex](1))

Since [tex]\Theta[/tex](2) = -[tex]\Theta[/tex](1) in the graph, the sines can be written as (sin[tex]\Theta[/tex] - sin(-[tex]\Theta[/tex])) = 2sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]

Thus, E(y) = (2k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / y) sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]

Notice from the graph that sin[tex]\Theta[/tex] = x/r = (1/2L)/([tex]\sqrt{(1/2L)^2 + y^2}[/tex]
So, E(y) = (2k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/y) ((1/2L)/([tex]\sqrt{(1/2L)^2 + y^2}[/tex])

The expression [tex]\lambda[/tex]L can be rewritten as Q, since it is the charge per unit length. So, on top, the 2 and (1/2) cancel leaving you with just kQ in the numerator.

Plugging in the numbers gives (8.99x10^9)(7x10^-6) / ((.69) * ([tex]\sqrt{1/2(.25)^2 + (.69)^2}[/tex]))
The resulting calculation is 128042.6956 N/C

Last edited:
I don't understand the difference between theta 1 and theta 2. Could you please explain to me on the graph?

I get it. Thank you for your help.

Liketothink said:
I get it. Thank you for your help.

Ok, if you got it then that's good. Yeah, I was thinking the explanation doesn't really do too much good without being able to visualize it...

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is responsible for the electric force that acts on other charged particles or objects within its field.

2. How is an electric field created by a finite line of charge?

An electric field is created by a finite line of charge when electric charges are distributed along a straight line. The electric field lines are perpendicular to the line of charge and decrease in strength as the distance from the line increases.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric field due to a finite line of charge?

The equation for calculating the electric field due to a finite line of charge is E = λ / (2πε0r), where E is the electric field strength, λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

4. How does the direction of the electric field due to a finite line of charge depend on the position?

The direction of the electric field due to a finite line of charge depends on the position relative to the line. The electric field lines always point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge. In the case of a finite line of charge, the electric field lines are perpendicular to the line of charge and point away from it.

5. What is the significance of the electric field due to a finite line of charge?

The electric field due to a finite line of charge is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in its vicinity. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in medical imaging techniques like electrocardiograms.