Electric Field due to a Point Charge

In summary, an electric field due to a point charge is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. The electric field strength is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2 and the direction is radially outward for positive charges and radially inward for negative charges. The strength of the electric field decreases as distance from the point charge increases and it can be shielded or blocked by a conductive material.
hpayandah

Homework Statement

Looking at the picture I have attached the problem is very straight forward. In the denominator of the equations I have posted the teacher uses 2[itex]\Pi[/itex] but the book uses 4[itex]\Pi[/itex]. Can someone please explain to me why is that.

Homework Equations

Book's equation:
attachment.php?attachmentid=59489&stc=1&d=1371058707.jpg

Teacher's Soln:
attachment.php?attachmentid=59490&d=1371058701.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to attached pictures.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.33.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.33.32 PM.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 540
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.29.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.29.45 PM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 699
Physics news on Phys.org
I was finally able to solve my problem. By the way from the two y points there is infinite line of charge in the z-axis. Here is my answer:
attachment.php?attachmentid=59492&stc=1&d=1371070711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130612_165511.jpg
    IMG_20130612_165511.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 490

What is an electric field due to a point charge?

An electric field due to a point charge is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by a single point charge and is represented by electric field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

How is the electric field strength calculated due to a point charge?

The electric field strength due to a point charge is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the location of interest.

What is the direction of the electric field due to a point charge?

The direction of the electric field at any point due to a point charge is radially outward if the charge is positive and radially inward if the charge is negative. This means that the electric field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

How does the electric field strength vary with distance from a point charge?

The electric field strength due to a point charge decreases as the distance from the point charge increases. This is because the electric field lines spread out over a larger area as they move away from the point charge, resulting in a weaker electric field.

Can the electric field due to a point charge be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field due to a point charge can be shielded or blocked by placing a conductive material between the point charge and the location of interest. This material will redistribute the electric field lines and reduce the strength of the electric field at that location.