Calculating Electric Field of Non-Conducting Sphere | Step-by-Step Guide"

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation of the electric field for a non-conducting sphere with a given volume charge density. The formula used is E = \int \frac{dQ \hat{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon r^2}. The individual provides their approach and the resulting answer, but questions why another formula gives a different result. They later realize their mistake and solve the problem.
Azael
I apologise for any spelling errors or terms missnamed since I am swedish and this course I am reading is only swedish books and terms. But I think I have gotten the translations right. Also my first try with latex.

I have a non conducting sphere with the radius R and the volume charge density

[tex] \rho (r) = \rho_o (1- \frac{r}{R} [/tex] when 0<r<R
and [tex] \rho(r) = 0 [/tex] when r>R
where [tex] \rho_0 [/tex] is a positive constant.

I want to calculate the field E(r) for 0<r<R and R<r and I want to use this forumla

[tex]
E = \int \frac{dQ \hat{r}}{4 \pi \epsilon r^2}
[/tex]

This is how I do it

[tex]
E = \frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 } \int_{0}^{r} (1-\frac{r}{R}) sin\theta d\theta dr d\phi
[/tex]

I get that to [tex]\bar{E}= \frac{\rho_o}{\epsilon_0} (r- \frac{r^2}{2R}) \hat{r} [/tex]

is that a correct answere for 0<r<R??

gonna post this now and se if I got the latex right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if I use gauss

[tex]
\oint Eds = \frac{{Q_e_n_c_l}}{{\epsilon_o}}
[/tex]

with [tex] Q_e_n_c_l = \int_{0}^{r} \rho_0(1 - \frac{r}{R}) r^2 \sin \Theta dr d \Theta d \Phi = \rho_0 4\Pi (\frac{r^3}{3} - \frac{r^4}{4R}) [/tex]

I get as answere
[tex] \overline{E} = \frac{\rho_o}{\epsilon_0} ( \frac{r}{3} - \frac{r^2}{4R}) \hat{r} [/tex]

why do I get different answeres. What equation do I implement wrong(or do I do them both wrong)?

seems like the latex won't work :confused:

Last edited:
might want to fix your tex tags. put the tags on the same line as the code

found my error. I used capitals by misstake in the [ /tex ] :blushing:

Last edited:
I solved it today fortunaly :)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged particle or object where other charged particles experience a force. The strength and direction of the electric field can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

2. How is an electric field represented?

Electric fields are often represented using field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field.

3. How does an electric field affect charged particles?

Charged particles in an electric field will experience a force that is dependent on their charge and the strength of the electric field. Positive charges will be pushed in the direction of the electric field, while negative charges will be pushed in the opposite direction.

4. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is the amount of force that a unit charge experiences in the field.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical field that exists in space and exerts a force on charged particles. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In other words, electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field.