Electric field in a ring between two magnets

In summary, A metal ring with a diameter of 4.50cm is placed between north and south poles of large magnets, initially producing a magnetic field of 1.12T. As the magnets are pulled apart, the field remains uniform but decreases at a rate of 0.250T/s. The question is asking for the magnetic field induced in the ring, and the approach is to calculate the rate of change of magnetic flux, which is equal to the induced EMF and can be found by multiplying the rate of change of the magnetic field by the loop's area.
critter

Homework Statement

A metal ring 4.50cm in diameter is placed between the north and south poles of large magnets with the plane of its area perpendicular to the magnetic field. These magnets initially produce a magnetic field of 1.12T, but are gradually pulled apart, causing the field to remain uniform, but decrease at a rate of 0.250T/s. What is the magnetic field induced in the ring?

Homework Equations

See attachment, I wasn't sure how to put some of the symbols in here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach it since there is no velocity given. If I could somehow relate the change in the B field to velocity, I think I could solve it. Here is the equation for B:
B=1.12-0.25t
dB/dt=-0.25T
How can I use that in my solution?

Attachments

• equations.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the question isn't asking for the EMF induced in the ring, rather than the magnetic field? Induced magnetic field doesn't make any sense.

In that case, you know the rate of change of the magnetic field dB/dt. Multiply that by the loop's area, and you have the rate of change of magnetic flux [tex] d\phi /dt [/tex], which is equal to the induced EMF.

1. What is an electric field in a ring between two magnets?

The electric field in a ring between two magnets is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force due to the presence of two opposing magnetic fields. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is the result of the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the electric field in a ring between two magnets calculated?

The electric field in a ring between two magnets can be calculated using the equation E = F/Q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by the charged particle, and Q is the magnitude of the charge. This equation takes into account the distance between the two magnets, the strength of the magnetic fields, and the charge of the particle.

3. What affects the strength of the electric field in a ring between two magnets?

The strength of the electric field in a ring between two magnets is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two magnets, the strength of the magnetic fields, and the magnitude of the charge on the particle. Additionally, the orientation and configuration of the magnets can also impact the strength of the electric field.

4. How is the direction of the electric field in a ring between two magnets determined?

The direction of the electric field in a ring between two magnets is determined by the direction of the magnetic fields. The electric field will always point in the opposite direction of the magnetic field, as the two fields are perpendicular to each other. This can be visualized using the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field in a ring between two magnets?

The electric field in a ring between two magnets has various real-world applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also used in industries such as electric motors, generators, and transformers, where the interaction between electric and magnetic fields is crucial for their functioning.