Electric Field/ infinite charged sheet

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three charged sheets with different charge densities, and the solution provided by a professor. The solution involves drawing vectors at various points to show the direction and relative magnitude of the electric field due to each sheet. The conversation also mentions the equations and concepts related to electric fields and Gauss' Law. There is a question about the magnitude of the electric field from sheet 2 compared to sheets 1 and 3, which is addressed by the expert with an explanation from their experience teaching the subject.
Andy13

Homework Statement

There are three charged sheets with various charge densities. The following link shows a diagram, and solutions (not mine; these are some professor's solutions but I don't understand them yet):

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/PHY212.08spring/HW/WHW-3.pdf

Draw vectors at each of the points A-D to show the direction and relative magnitude at the point due to a) sheet 1 b) sheet 2 c) sheet 3.

Homework Equations

E field due to infinite sheet = σ/2ε
(where ε = permittivity constant and σ = charge density)

Flux = ∫ EdA = E*A = |E||A|cos(θ)

Gauss' Law: Flux = q(enclosed)/εo

The Attempt at a Solution

I know which direction the vectors go, but I don't know what their magnitudes are. Surfing the internet gave me this (scroll to last page):

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/PHY212.08spring/HW/WHW-3.pdf

I know that the magnitudes of each vector of the electric field from each individual sheet from points A-D should be equal, because the electric field from a charged sheet doesn't depend on radius (for example, sheet 1's field could give vectors of magnitude |a| at every point).

However, I don't understand why sheet 2 (σ = -1), according to the above solutions, has vectors of twice the magnitude of sheets 1 and 3 (σ= +1). What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.

His solution is consistent with the center sheet having a surface charge density of -2σ0 .

(I have taught this subject for more than 20 years.)

SammyS said:
I agree with you.

His solution is consistent with the center sheet having a surface charge density of -2σ0 .

(I have taught this subject for more than 20 years.)

Thanks SammyS-- I'm glad I wasn't misunderstanding something.

Related to Electric Field/ infinite charged sheet

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force on a charged particle at any given point.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by electrically charged particles. These particles can be stationary, such as in the case of a charged object, or moving, such as in the case of an electric current. The electric field is strongest near the charged particle and decreases in strength as the distance from the particle increases.

What is an infinite charged sheet?

An infinite charged sheet is a theoretical model used to study electric fields. It is an infinitely large, flat sheet with a uniform distribution of charge. This model allows for easier calculations and analysis of electric fields.

What is the electric field strength of an infinite charged sheet?

The electric field strength of an infinite charged sheet is constant and does not depend on the distance from the sheet. It is calculated by dividing the charge density (charge per unit area) by 2ε0, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How does the direction of the electric field change near an infinite charged sheet?

The direction of the electric field near an infinite charged sheet is always perpendicular to the sheet. This means that the field lines will be parallel to the sheet and will not curve or converge. The direction of the electric field will also depend on the sign of the charge on the sheet.