Electric field inside hydrogen atom.

In summary, in the conversation, the topic of a hydrogen atom is discussed, specifically its structure in terms of a central proton and an electron distributed around it according to a volume charge density. The task at hand is to find the constant A in order to solve for the electric field produced by the atom at the Bohr radius. It is mentioned that the fact that hydrogen is electrically neutral will help solve this problem. Suggestions are given on how to approach the problem using step functions or delta functions and integrating the density function to find the total charge of the atom.
onyx390

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom can be considered as having a central point-like proton of positive charge +e and an electron of negative charge -e that is distributed about the proton according to the volume charge density rho=A*exp(-2r/a_1). Here A is a constant, a_1 = .53x10^(-10)m is the Bohr radius, and r is the distance from the center of the atom. a) Using the fact that hydrogen is electrically neutral, find A. b) Then find the electric field produced by the atom at the Bohr radius.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling at part a. Once I find A, I can just integrate and solve for the electric field. However, although I know that hydrogen being electrically neutral is what will help me solve this, I don't know what this implies. My main guess is that I set r equal to a_1. However, that still leaves the unknown of q. Can someone explain to me how hydrogen's neutrality is relevant? Once I figure that out, I'm sure that the problem will become much simpler for me. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "A" is probably going to be composed of two parts that add together.
Try thinking about how to use a combination of step functions (or delta functions) to represent the electron and proton. Arfken has a little bit of material on this.

If you have not had delta or step functions, I will try to think of other means. But I think most hydrogen solutions will have "A" as two terms.

hi, i would suggest to try to find the total charge of the whole atom with an integral of the density function over the region, then equal this to 0 (q=0,neutral atom) and probably you will come out with a condition (answer) for your constant A.

1. What is the magnitude of the electric field inside a hydrogen atom?

The magnitude of the electric field inside a hydrogen atom is zero. This is because the electric field is defined as the force per unit charge, and the charge at the center of the atom (the nucleus) is surrounded by an equal and opposite charge (the electron), resulting in a net electric field of zero.

2. Does the electric field inside a hydrogen atom change with distance?

Yes, the electric field inside a hydrogen atom changes with distance. As the distance from the nucleus increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field.

3. How does the electric field inside a hydrogen atom relate to the energy levels of the electron?

The electric field inside a hydrogen atom is directly related to the energy levels of the electron. As the electron moves to a lower energy level, the electric field becomes stronger. This is because the electric field is strongest when the electron is closest to the nucleus.

4. Can the electric field inside a hydrogen atom be measured?

No, the electric field inside a hydrogen atom cannot be directly measured. This is because the electron in a hydrogen atom is constantly in motion and the electric field is constantly changing. However, the effects of the electric field can be observed and calculated through experiments and mathematical models.

5. How does the electric field inside a hydrogen atom affect the behavior of the electron?

The electric field inside a hydrogen atom plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the electron. The strength and direction of the electric field determine the energy levels and movement of the electron, ultimately determining the chemical and physical properties of the atom. Without the electric field, the electron would not be bound to the nucleus and the atom would not exist in its current form.