Electric field of Capacitors

In summary, the electric field of a capacitor is defined by the equation \vec{E} = \frac{\rho_{s} \hat{a_n}}{\epsilon} = \frac{Q\hat{a_n}}{A\epsilon_r\epsilon_0} where \vec{E} = (\frac{\rho_s}{\epsilon})\hat{a_n}. The permittivity is broken into two components, εo for the vacuum and εr for the medium between the plates. The product of these two is equivalent to the overall permittivity, and the ratio of the capacitance with medium to the capacitance without medium is known as the relative permittivity.
jeff1evesque

Homework Statement

An electric field of a capacitor is defined by the following equation,
[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{\rho_{s} \hat{a_n}}{\epsilon} = \frac{Q\hat{a_n}}{A\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{E} = (\frac{\rho_s}{\epsilon})\hat{a_n}[/tex]

Question
I understand the first equality, and reviewing my physics book, I think I understand the derivation. But I was wondering if [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r\epsilon_0[/tex], and a quick explanation why.

Thanks,

JL

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff1evesque said:

Homework Statement

An electric field of a capacitor is defined by the following equation,
[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{\rho_{s} \hat{a_n}}{\epsilon} = \frac{Q\hat{a_n}}{A\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{E} = (\frac{\rho_s}{\epsilon})\hat{a_n}[/tex]

Question
I understand the first equality, and reviewing my physics book, I think I understand the derivation. But I was wondering if [tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r\epsilon_0[/tex], and a quick explanation why.

Thanks,

JL
Here εο is the permittivity of the vacuum and εr is the relative permittivity of the medium which is introduces between the plates. It is also called as the dielectric constant.

rl.bhat said:
Here εο is the permittivity of the vacuum and εr is the relative permittivity of the medium which is introduces between the plates. It is also called as the dielectric constant.

Actually, do you mind explaining why it was necessary to break the permittivity into those components? And why the product is equivalent to the permittivity?

Thanks again,

JL

Permittivity ε is the property of the space. If you introduce anything between the plates of the capacity, the electric field will decrease due to polarization.. Consequently the potential difference between the plates will decrease and hence the capacitance will increase.
The ratio of capacity with medium and capacity without medium is called relative permittivity εr. εr = Cm / Co = (εA/d)/(εoA/d) = ε/εr

Last edited:

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is responsible for the electric force that acts on other charged particles or objects within the field.

How is the electric field of a capacitor calculated?

The electric field of a capacitor is calculated by dividing the electric charge on one of the plates by the distance between the two plates. This is known as the electric field strength or electric field intensity.

What is the significance of the electric field in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor plays a crucial role in the storage of electrical energy. It allows for the buildup of potential energy between the two plates, which can then be released as electrical energy when a circuit is completed.

How does the shape of a capacitor affect its electric field?

The shape of a capacitor can impact its electric field by changing the distance between the two plates and the surface area of the plates. A larger surface area and smaller distance between plates will result in a stronger electric field.

Can the electric field of a capacitor be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field of a capacitor can be manipulated by changing the distance between the two plates or by altering the amount of charge on the plates. This can be done through various methods such as changing the voltage or using a dielectric material between the plates.