Electric Field on Central Axis

In summary, the electric field on the central axis through a ring of uniform positive charge is described as having field vectors pointing along the axis and away from the ring on both sides of the ring. Option C has been ruled out as it does not make sense, leaving the options of A and B. Based on the knowledge that E-field lines point away from positive charges, the answer is determined to be B.
McAfee

Homework Statement

Which describes the electric field on the central axis through a ring of uniform positive charge?

A. The field vectors point along the axis and toward the ring on both sides of the ring.
B. The field vectors point along the axis and away from the ring on both sides of the ring.
C. The field vectors point along the axis and away from the ring on one side of the ring and toward the ring on the opposite side.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ruled out option C because it doesn't make sense. So I'm stuck between option A and B.

I would guess that the answer is B.

Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:

Homework Statement

Which describes the electric field on the central axis through a ring of uniform positive charge?

A. The field vectors point along the axis and toward the ring on both sides of the ring.
B. The field vectors point along the axis and away from the ring on both sides of the ring.
C. The field vectors point along the axis and away from the ring on one side of the ring and toward the ring on the opposite side.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ruled out option C because it doesn't make sense. So I'm stuck between option A and B.

I would guess that the answer is B.
Do E-field lines tend to point toward positive charge, or away from positive charge?

SammyS said:
Do E-field lines tend to point toward positive charge, or away from positive charge?

E-fields point away from positive charges.

So the answer has to be B?

McAfee said:
E-fields point away from positive charges.

So the answer has to be B?

Yup !

The electric field on the central axis through a ring of uniform positive charge would be pointing away from the ring on both sides. This is because the electric field lines are always directed away from positive charges. Additionally, the electric field on the central axis would be uniform since the ring has a uniform charge distribution.

1. What is an electric field on the central axis?

An electric field on the central axis is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a test charge placed at a point on the central axis of a charged object.

2. How is the electric field on the central axis calculated?

The electric field on the central axis can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the electric force between two charges divided by the distance between them squared.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field on the central axis?

The strength of the electric field on the central axis is affected by the magnitude and sign of the charges involved, as well as the distance between them. The electric field also follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases as the distance from the charges increases.

4. How does the electric field on the central axis differ from the electric field at other points?

The electric field on the central axis is unique in that it is always directed along the axis and does not depend on the angle of the test charge. At other points, the direction and strength of the electric field can vary depending on the location and orientation of the test charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field on the central axis?

The electric field on the central axis has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated along the central axis by varying the electric field strength. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as CT scans, which use electric fields to create images of internal body structures.